help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Does your kids have this

Postby justdontknow12 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Im petrified my little boy gets this he is only 5
justdontknow12

Re: Does your kids have this

Postby sacrosanct » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Trimethylaminuria is autosomally recessive, giving a 1/4 chance, assuming both parents carry the same FMO3 polymorphism.

The generally accepted rate for carriers of the faulty FMO3 gene in the overall population is less than 1%.

Hence the chance of having Trimethylaminuria, taking a liberal estimate, is 0.01 x 0.01 x 0.25 = 1 in 40,000 from the random population. This is a liberal estimate because it assumes the 1% carriers both have the same FMO3 polymorphism. In fact there are several Single Nucleotide/Multiple Nucleotide Polymorphisms that can create a faulty FMO3 gene. It's quite a polymorphic gene.

If you have Trimethylaminuria, you have the same polymorphism from both your parents, but you cannot pass on both genes, only one.

This gives your children a chance of 0.01 x 0.25 = 1/400 chance of having Trimethylaminuria, again a liberal estimate assuming a single polymorphism is responsible for Trimethylaminuria.

The only guaranteed way I know of to pass it on to your children is if both parents have Trimethylaminuria caused by the same FMO3 polymorphism.

Unless there are people out there with Trimethylaminuria intentionally genetically sequencing their potential partners who also have Trimethylaminuria to match their polymorphisms with their own, in order create a some kind of cardiovascular disease reduced super army, my understanding of science and mathematics suggest the chances are pretty small.

If you don't have Trimethylaminura and you can just smell your child and are worried, as someone who has primary Trimethylaminuria, I can reliably inform you that other parents at school started to comment that I smelled like fish before I was five.

Perhaps someone else who has Trimethylaminuria on here AND has children might be able to offer you more emipirical data on whether or not their children exhibit any symptoms.
sacrosanct

Return to getting diagnosed