Possible to detect in 3 year old?

Dr Dolphin was part of the team who first demonstrated that mutations in the FMO3 gene are the cause of the inherited (primary form) of TMAU.

Moderator: admin

Possible to detect in 3 year old?

Postby worriedmama » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi there - I'm desperately worried that my three year old daughter has TMAU. Several times over the years we have noticed a pungent fishy odour that came and went. At first we thought she was putting her hands in her genitals and that was what was smelling so strongly - but I think although she was doing that, her vaginal discharge has a stronger smell than normal. We notice the smell most strongly around her mouth, but we've also smelled it in her hair. Do you think that TMAU would come through in somebody so young? I'm really worried.
My husband will go to the GP tomorrow and try to get antibiotics as a first defence, and ask to be referred. He's not going to take my daughter since we don't want to make her paranoid (she is already asking, why are you smelling me?!)
Any advice or thoughts you had would be really appreciated.
I can't quite believe this might be what it is, but everything seems to add up.
worriedmama

Re: Possible to detect in 3 year old?

Postby bigvern » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1109&p=5211&hilit=daughter#p5211

probably not a question for Dr Dolphin as he is non clinical, but I beliveve it is entirely possible and testable, see link above and others on the forum, asked to refered to Dr Lachmann in London,
priint off for GP, many havent heard of it;
http://www.tmau.org.uk/index.php/getting-tested
bigvern

Return to Questions for Dr Dolphin