cause of tmau2

Dr Dolphin was part of the team who first demonstrated that mutations in the FMO3 gene are the cause of the inherited (primary form) of TMAU.

Moderator: admin

cause of tmau2

Postby ninja » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 am

hey, can you tell me the reason the bacterial infections occur in people without bowel disorders?

I noticed when I got less sleep (around 6-7 hours a night) an unpleasant fecal smell was left on my trousers around the groin area, and when I increased my sleep and got a better sleeping pattern the smell on the trousers disappeared although I still smelt like fecal odor (according to other people). :shock:

can you tell me why sleep affects it, is it due to sleep affecting metabolism? also how did the bacterial infection occur in my gut in the first place :?:
I should mention the smell appeared when I was 17.

is there anyway to stop/prevent the bacteria from coming back?

much appreciated ninja.
ninja

Re: cause of tmau2

Postby FADworker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:12 pm

We don't really know the underlying cuases of TMAu2. Have you been tested? This would be a good first step. Unfortunately, I am going through a 'restructuring' process at the moment which may well result in me leaving academic research. I am fighting the process but the likelihood is that I will be out of a job some time next year. If this is the case I will post here the last grant proposal I submitted to the UK Medical Research Council with the accompanying referee reviews. Had this application be successful we might be in a better position to help those with non-inherited (ie. non-genetic) TMAu, ie. TMAu2.
FADworker

Re: cause of tmau2

Postby PoetFire » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi Dr Dolphin. I am sorry to hear of your precarious situation.

Re the proposed project, is it something you think could still go ahead ? I was wondering if perhaps the project could be 'crowdfunded' by the community.

If it involved 'samples' then perhaps the volunteers would be willing to pay their own test and perhaps an additional small fee which could go towards the project costs. Or perhaps the sampling could be open to anyone and then volunteers chosen from the database. Or something similar.
PoetFire

Return to Questions for Dr Dolphin