faeces transplantation

Dr Dolphin was part of the team who first demonstrated that mutations in the FMO3 gene are the cause of the inherited (primary form) of TMAU.

Moderator: admin

Re: faeces transplantation

Postby PoetFire » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:39 am

That's very unfortunate. I wonder if one new angle one could mention to grant funders could be that there was recently a paper associating TMAO with cardiovascular disease, since people with TMAU2 tend to have both high TMA and TMAO.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475195

I'm sure now there's much more interest in TMA-TMAO and there will be quite a few researchers now hopefully looking to block TMA production or neutralize it due to the proposed(?) CVD risk.

Could there be other ways to get funding ? I was thinking perhaps the community could try to fund it. There are sites like indiegogo for 'fund-raising campaigns' but I think they are time-limited funding options. In the end, for 'self-funding' all someone needs is an easy way to collect money such as a paypal account, I guess.

Just throwing a few thoughts in the air.
PoetFire

Postby FADworker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 am

PoetFire wrote:That's very unfortunate. I wonder if one new angle one could mention to grant funders could be that there was recently a paper associating TMAO with cardiovascular disease, since people with TMAU2 tend to have both high TMA and TMAO.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475195

I'm sure now there's much more interest in TMA-TMAO and there will be quite a few researchers now hopefully looking to block TMA production or neutralize it due to the proposed(?) CVD risk.

Could there be other ways to get funding ? I was thinking perhaps the community could try to fund it. There are sites like indiegogo for 'fund-raising campaigns' but I think they are time-limited funding options. In the end, for 'self-funding' all someone needs is an easy way to collect money such as a paypal account, I guess.

Just throwing a few thoughts in the air.

We did discuss the 'CVD association' although it is still unproven and rather contentious. We also covered the potential inhibition of TMA production by intestinal bacteria via physical manipulation of the bacterial composition and/or small molecule inhibitors of the recently characterized choline->TMA pathway. It is difficult to pick oneself back up and start reapplying elsewhere after a perfectly good application, considered excellent by three different reviewers, gets trashed by a fourth. The one poor review may not have been the only determinant considered by the panel but it's failure is disappointing especially considering the funds requested were modest - 0.1% of the proposed NHS 100K Genomes project.
Last edited by FADworker on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FADworker

Postby PoetFire » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Yes, sorry, I guessed you would have mentioned the 'possible' CVD association. And I agree it is contentious.
PoetFire

Previous

Return to Questions for Dr Dolphin