Telomerase Activators & FMO 3 Enzyme

Dr Dolphin was part of the team who first demonstrated that mutations in the FMO3 gene are the cause of the inherited (primary form) of TMAU.

Moderator: admin

Telomerase Activators & FMO 3 Enzyme

Postby ondine2 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:20 am

Dear Dr. Dolphin,

After learning about the importance of telomeres--the "end tabs" of a DNA strand, and new supplements which might activate these telomeres in order to cure disease and prevent aging, I cannot help but wonder if this has any application to non-genetic mutations of the FMO 3 enzyme.

For instance, if one developed TMAU from taking a drug which altered the FMO 3 enzyme, might activating one's telomerase in turn help the enzyme to function properly again?

The specific products I have learned about are called TA-65 and Product B here in the United States.
ondine2

Re: Telomerase Activators & FMO 3 Enzyme

Postby FADworker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

ondine2 wrote:Dear Dr. Dolphin,

After learning about the importance of telomeres--the "end tabs" of a DNA strand, and new supplements which might activate these telomeres in order to cure disease and prevent aging, I cannot help but wonder if this has any application to non-genetic mutations of the FMO 3 enzyme.

For instance, if one developed TMAU from taking a drug which altered the FMO 3 enzyme, might activating one's telomerase in turn help the enzyme to function properly again?

The specific products I have learned about are called TA-65 and Product B here in the United States.

Hi ondine2

TBH I don't think these sorts of products would be of much use. Telomeres - regions of repeating DNA sequence - are found, as you say, on the ends of our chromosomes and help to maintain the integrity of these linear structures. There's no real relationship between FMO3 and our telomeres (not that I know of anyway).
FADworker

Return to Questions for Dr Dolphin