Hormones

Dr Dolphin was part of the team who first demonstrated that mutations in the FMO3 gene are the cause of the inherited (primary form) of TMAU.

Moderator: admin

Hormones

Postby Ellie Girl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 am

Hi Dr Dolphin (great name btw!)

A few of us have been discussing the added impact of female hormones on the condition. It's well-known that women's TMAU is worse just before, during and just after periods. So I have a four-part question, if you can help.

1. Would taking antibiotics over this time period help with the worsening of the odour at this time? (I take metranidozole at about 6 weekly intervals when I am having bad patches and although it helps the anti-bs seem to make me smell very strange while I'm taking them - should they? That's regardless of me having a period or not).

2. One poster recently said shots of lupron to stop her periods helped. Is that an option for us, or would that introduce more chemical gunk into the body that we can't metabolise, and thus make things worse?

3. Is having a full hysterectomy a possible solution? I am 42 and fast approaching the age at which my mother and grandmother went through the menopause (for them it lasted about 10 years!) and I don't want to go through the inevitable unreliability in planning for the days when I smell. My odour is fairly manageable for 2-3 weeks of the month - I don't think I can cope with 10 years of not knowing when to plan for it. If lupron is a harmless alternative I would probably rather do this.

4. What are the effects of preganancy on TMAU? Presumably it worsens? And if so, is it over the whole 9 months, and when does it go back to 'normal' (ha ha).

Thanks,

Ellie Girl
Ellie Girl

Re: Hormones

Postby FADworker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Ellie Girl wrote:Hi Dr Dolphin (great name btw!)

A few of us have been discussing the added impact of female hormones on the condition. It's well-known that women's TMAU is worse just before, during and just after periods. So I have a four-part question, if you can help.

1. Would taking antibiotics over this time period help with the worsening of the odour at this time? (I take metranidozole at about 6 weekly intervals when I am having bad patches and although it helps the anti-bs seem to make me smell very strange while I'm taking them - should they? That's regardless of me having a period or not).

2. One poster recently said shots of lupron to stop her periods helped. Is that an option for us, or would that introduce more chemical gunk into the body that we can't metabolise, and thus make things worse?

3. Is having a full hysterectomy a possible solution? I am 42 and fast approaching the age at which my mother and grandmother went through the menopause (for them it lasted about 10 years!) and I don't want to go through the inevitable unreliability in planning for the days when I smell. My odour is fairly manageable for 2-3 weeks of the month - I don't think I can cope with 10 years of not knowing when to plan for it. If lupron is a harmless alternative I would probably rather do this.

4. What are the effects of preganancy on TMAU? Presumably it worsens? And if so, is it over the whole 9 months, and when does it go back to 'normal' (ha ha).

Thanks,

Ellie Girl

Hi Ellie Girl

Yes - interesting name especially when researching fish-odour syndrome (as it was once known)!

Being 'only' a non-clinical researcher I wouldn't really want to comment on your questions. As you say recent results confirm that FMO3 enzyme activity drops away during menstruation but I don't think taking antibiotics in addition to those already prescribed you would help. The other options seem rather drastic to me.
FADworker

Return to Questions for Dr Dolphin