Need help

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Need help

Postby robert123 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi all,
I really hope someone might have an answer for me as I'm in a desperate situation at the moment with my condition. I should first say that I had one tmau test which came back negative, though unfortunately I didn't get an exact breakdown. However I do suffer from a weird body odour which quite often smells of fish amongst other yucky odours. Unfortunately too I have a lot of very bad gas (sorry to be going tmi about all this). I seem to smell pretty constantly going by reactions though some days are definately better than others. On my very very bad days though I seem to get what I call these smell explosions where seriously I seem to cover a much larger area than usual around me with my odour.
Last week was a case in point, from around Tues to Thurs I would walk out of my work building in the evening (for some reason it seems to strike only on the evening) and as soon I stepped outside this very distinctive fish smell would hit me, like it was enveloping the whole car park :oops: Anyway over the weekend and yesterday which I took off I really went on a major diet clean up. Any trigger foods i might have were eliminated, mostly had vegetable juice drinks. Today going in to work and for nearly all the day things seemed ok but again this evening that fish smell came back maybe not quite as bad as before. I really don't think it's anything to do with my diet. The only thing I can think of is that recently I upped the amount of the probitoic vsl3 I've been taking. WHen I first took vsl definately it made my gas worse for a while but that side effect seems to have stopped now. Just wondering has anyone on here experienced a marked increase in their body odour after taking vsl 3 or other probiotics for a while. (Part of me would still like to take vsl3 as I've spent so much money on it already it would seem pretty wasted if I gave it up now). Or if anyone has any theories it would be seriously welcomed.
robert123

Re: Need help

Postby pixielink » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi,

After reading about your particular problem it does seem from a stranger looking in that whatever is causing
this odour is something your having daily. Why not try stop taking your porbiotic for a short while(still
stay on the TMAU awareness food) to see if will make a diff for you. I only take probiotics when I'm on
antibiotics for choline once every six weeks, not every day.
If you feel unhappy about not taking the probiotics can you not take it less often? Just a thought.

All my best wishes to you

Pixielink
pixielink

Postby treacle » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Your symptoms are identical to mine before I knew what was wrong with me. I really believe that this is something to do with having too much bacteria in the gut ("good" or "bad") which is intefering with the normal metabolic processes. Therefore I would endorse quitting probiotics straight away if you havent already. My symptoms were always worse when I took them. Secondly I cannot recommend these Gastone activated charcoal tablets enough for reducing symptoms - http://www.healthaid.co.uk/shopexd.aspx?id=673 (4 a day)
If you take them everyday I am sure they will gradually reduce your symptoms. Third thing I would do is check food labels to make sure you are not eating any soya lecithin or lecithin - these are often added to confectionary and other foods and are a possible cause of symptoms. Also consider eliminating milk, egg and meat to see if it could be a choline related problem. Let us know you get on! This WONT last for ever, you WILL improve although it may not seem like it at the time..
treacle

Postby robert123 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Hey Pixielink and Treacle,
Thanks so much for your replies, it really is appreciated. I'm very sorry not to have gotten back to ye sooner, I kind of only check in on here every few weeks and to be honest I must have missed the replies the last time I was on so sorry again. thankfuly things have settled down a bit for the time being at least, yep I gave up the probiotics for a few weeks and that seemed to help a bit. It's kind of frustrating though, maybe it was actually a sign of progress in that perhaps the probiotics were starting to disrupt a bit the old odour causing bacteria and if I kept on them it would have been better in the long run. Then again maybe that's me talking through my hat as usual. I'm going to start back on the vsl but this time try and take it a bit more slowly.
Actually one thing I found that really helped me is that during those weeks when I was smelling worse than usual I really wasn't sleeping that much. I notice definately the tired I am the worse I smell. I started making a bigger effort going to bed earlier and ahving a few naps during the day if possible and that definately improved things.
Thanks again for the very helpful suggestions. :)
robert123

Return to general tmau topics