Archaebiotics: Proposed therapeutic use of archaea to preven

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Archaebiotics: Proposed therapeutic use of archaea to preven

Postby gemtree » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 am

Archaebiotics: Proposed therapeutic use of archaea to prevent trimethylaminuria and cardiovascular disease
(sorry wasn't enough room in the subject)

Just spotted this link on twitter
[url]https://www.rareconnect.org/en/community/trimethylaminuria/forum/topic/archaebiotics-proposed-therapeutic-use-of-archaea-to-prevent-trimethylaminuria-and-cardiovascular-disease
and its here also[/url]

https://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/gutmicrobes/article/26749/

I hope they find a cure!
Its all a bit technical but below is the gist of it.

This initial phase of research confirmed experimentally that a bacteria strains is able to deplete TMA in the gut. The name of this bacteria strain is Methanomassiliicoccus luminyensis B10.

The article says that alot more research need to be carried out before a probiotic therapeutic consisting of this bacteria strain could be used as a therapeutic to deplete TMA in the gut. If this research is carried out, and if this therapeutic is ultimately approved by the FDA and/or the EMA for human consumption, it would in essence mean that we will be able to control TMA-related odor symptoms, probably even when consuming choline and TMAO rich foods.

In theory, it will control the amount of TMA that would go into the bloodstream by stopping TMA production in the gut.
gemtree

Re: Archaebiotics: Proposed therapeutic use of archaea to preven

Postby PoetFire » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Yes because there has been a much publicized 'theory' that TMA-oxide levels may be linked to heart disease, we may soon be spoilt with research about reducing/blocking tma production in the gut. This is one scenario, where a gut microbe alters the gut TMA amount to less or zero.

Personally my big hope is FMO3 gene therapy or perhaps therapy that involves taking FMO3 as a supplement. FMO3 is a cell enzyme and is intended to be in cells (mainly the liver), but I would hope that if it could be taken as a pill that perhaps it would oxidze sulfides and amines in the gut. However as far as I know no-one is looking at this idea as they probably don't think it is necessary (taking fmo3 as a supplement).

But gene therapy is the big hope as it would be a cure really, although any kind of research and therapy is welcome.
PoetFire

Return to general tmau topics