I wonder what % can't smell TMA...

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

I wonder what % can't smell TMA...

Postby kittycat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I was watching a documentary type programme of an historic case of murder by cyanide.. The forensic scientist cut open the body, and was hit by the strong smell of cyanide, and the voice over said it was lucky that the scientist was not in the 20% of the population who can't detect the smell of cyanide. If this is a known phenomenon, and, if the programme was to be believed, has been studied well enough to form a percentage, why do doctors still say that if they can't smell anything, we are imagining that we smell? We've mostly all had misdiagnosis of metal health problems, by doctors who insist they can't smell anything, at the same time being bullied by nearly everyone else, because we do smell. Perhaps this phenomenon has a name? and we should incorporate it in the protocol more, and include it in awareness campaigns. I always think this is a big issue for us, and it's sometimes played down.
kittycat

Re: I wonder what % can't smell TMA...

Postby LJNLindsay » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I totally agree with what you have said.

My GP, nurse, dentist, hairdresser & family ALL tell me that I don't smell & never have, yet I must do due to the reactions I've had over the years.

Even now with the test results my mum still refuses to believe it, sigh.

Ever feel like you're going crazy? I know that I do!

Linds x
"When No One Else Cares; My Dogs' Still Love Me"
LJNLindsay

Postby PoetFire » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:53 pm

I think for TMAU (or what I think of as 'FMO3 malodour syndrome'), 2 problems are that some can't smell it (or smell it less well), and also I think perhaps most of us are transient. Personally though, I think I could probably smell it from a source other than humans. It's as if the brain ignores smells via the blood or something if the person has the same enzyme problem.

I read a paper sometime which suggested maybe 15% or more could not smell TMA well. Also in my opinion from situations, my guess is that possibly up to 20% (or maybe between 5-15%) of the population may not smell 'FMO3 substrate' smells from humans emitting the smells systemically. Maybe they are carriers or close to the genetic border. On the bright side this means you probably don't smell to them (or at least, only on very bad occasions). Maybe it depends at what sort of % function your FMO3 enzyme is at comparatively.

I'm guessing this is probably true for all types of body/breath conditions. For instance I used to work with a guy who was in management who had a harsh normal but distinctive BO that he would wash off about every 3rd day. He was married with kids. I presume his wife was immune to the smell because I can't imagine her bearing that in the house. My guess is that she was a carrier of the same genetic fault (even though it was a surface problem) as him. Since it wasn't a FMO3 problem, I could smell him a mile off.

If you think of anyone with any type of body/breath odour. Many are well-dressed and don't look the 'unhygienic' type. I can only presume 'relations' cannot smell them or they would tell them. This seems true even if it's halitosis from a dodgy tooth.

Regards the transient nature, I think about 20 people have appeared on TV about tmau and only one was recorded as smelling on TV. I think this is why TMAU/FMO3 malodours is still 'under the radar. Since most are transient we don't smell to the Dr's, and relations etc are probably carriers and don't usually smell anything. It's a pity because it's why the problem is not much known about and not much being done about it. If society knew collectively, I am sure they would help.

I don't know why exactly people cannot smell smells. Maybe they are desensitized, or the brain ignores blood smells, or their receptors are saturated. My own guess is that the brain ignores usual blood smells.

I think the 'offical name' for being unable to smell things is anosmia.
PoetFire

Postby kittycat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:42 pm

It's probably best not to talk about it with your mum Lindsay, until a later date. You know it's not all in your head, and that's the main thing. My doc always looks a bit doubtful too, even after my diagnosis, and a relative said I should be ashamed of having Tmau, and not tell anyone.. He's dumped!

Poetfire, I think Anosmia sufferers can't smell anything much. This 'syndrome' of not being able to detect some odours seems more specific. If there's no name for it yet, I can think of no better person to name it than you :ugeek:

In my humble opinion, Tmau 2 is merely acquired, but not helped by low FMO3 levels. Experience points to overuse of antibiotics, but general pollution of the food chain with animal treatments, herbicides and pesticides, can't help gut flora. The only thing that rings bells for me, is that sometimes the diagnosis changes from aquired to primary, whats your take on that? I know that clingfilm is suspected of being gene changing, or is it just fluctuating hormones? Sorry if I'm going over old ground again... All these questions in my head, and no 'world experts' interested enough to answer them! Thank goodness for fluctuations and the %age..
kittycat

Postby PoetFire » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Yes I think it's called 'specific anosmia' :) . A common discussion on this is the 'asparagus pee' conundrum. Some can smell it, some can't.

To me the question is, is it something to do with the olfactory receptors, or is the brain ignoring it, or whatever. The sense of smell is probably the least understood of the senses.

Funny enough there are 'smell and taste' clinics around the world, but none for 'smelly' people, and especially nothing for 'metabolic smelly' people.
PoetFire

Postby LJNLindsay » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:25 pm

It's mind-boggling to me, LOL.

I know that I, personally, have an extremely acute sense of smell, yet it bugs me that I can't often smell myself :-(

As for not discussing it with my mum, yeah, I'm coming round to that idea because the two of us just go over, & over it again: usually with me ending up in tears dos she thinks it's all in my head. Argh.

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Postby kittycat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 am

TMA Specific Asnosmia... Thank you Poetfire..

Be boggled no more Lindsay.. We can tell our docs that we have Tmau and they have TSA.. They'll love us even more if we say we read it on the net ;) kcx
kittycat

Postby dev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 am

There is a LOT of hipocrisy about this. I just don't believe they don't smell it. They lie.

2 Months ago I went to a dentist for talking about this. There was a corridor with a few doors (for other dentists and hygienists). While my dentist was in silence taking notes about my case, I could hear clearly people talking from an adjacent room about "sewer smell". I asked a few times whether they could smell something and he said nothing at all. I asked to his assistant and she came up with the same answer.

I knew what will happen. It is always the same story. They never smell anything... So I went to the dentist 30 minutes earlier and I waited near the Tube station to hear people's reactions. At least 3 people talking on the phone with someone else or coming out from the Tube with friends complained about bad breath smell. When I walked into the dentist room I was sure I had bad breath because anonymous people had told me out loud while coming out from the Tube.

That means they lie. It is like a conspiracy. Everybody lies about this. Family, doctors, friends... Everybody. Only anonymous people say the truth. Sounds quite crazy but that is how it is. :(

I have a theory:
I believe the people we ask about this are expecting a specific smell, something weird, a chemical-ish smell... But they only smell like dirtiness and they don't make comments about that because they assume that smell is just dirtiness and that is not what we are talking about, so they keep trying to smell something else.

That is my theory because I can't understand such a conspiracy in which everybody lies about it. Unbelievably frustrating. :evil:
dev

Postby LJNLindsay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 pm

This condition is just confusing all round, isn't it?

Makes me weep, so it does...

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Return to general tmau topics