I have had to go back home when going to a work interview

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

I have had to go back home when going to a work interview

Postby dev » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm

My last 2 days I have eaten boiled sweet potato, boiled potato, lettuce, mozarella, olives, pepers, almond milk, bananas, bread (oat, barley + e471) and gelatine.

2 charcoal capsules after every meal
1 probio 10 billion per day

When I was on my way to the interview, at the other side of the road (about 6 meters), someone from a family near a car said there was a stinky breath.

I decided to turn around and forget about that interview. Obviously I have no chance there.

Am I eating something I should not eat?
dev

Re: I have had to go back home when going to a work interview

Postby flashy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:00 pm

i am not 100% but i thought i had read on here bananas are high in choline so i do not eat them anymore.x
flashy

Postby Tenacity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:44 am

Hi dev,

Everybody's different, but personally I would never get away with eating:
-bananas
-gelatine
-almond milk

I would also only eat extremely small amounts of oats and mozzarella, but that's just me.

Had you thought about:
-boiled/fried/ovened etc sweet potato
-lettuce/olives/peppers etc
-rice or coconut based milk substitute
-Low choline cereals like corn flakes/rice crispies with fresh berries
-egg whites etc
-rice, pasta or vermicelli based meals?

Also, is there a reason you don't take body mint or some other form of copper chlorophyllin?

Meh, if it was me I would have gone to the interview. The person by the car may have had a very sensitive nose, and not everybody can smell TMA. Also, the interviewer may have been nice and decided to overlook it. It's not up to me to say what you should do, though. I'm an *extremely* tough/hardened girl, and this condition still affects my life, despite my best efforts.

Sorry to hear that happened to you, and I hope you are feeling better. (Hugs)
Tenacity

Postby dev » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:34 pm

The big problem is that I don't know if I have this condition.

These 2 days were my first ones, but then I have tried to follow a VERY STRICT diet for about 10-15 more days and I have not noticed any improvement at all.

My test results were 0.18

How many days do I need to follow the diet to see any result?

Maybe I don't have this.
dev

Postby Tenacity » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm

You mean your TMA/TMA-n-oxide ratio? Was this while eating normally, or while eating a normal/elevated amount of choline-rich food?

I've got less than that before on a low-choline diet, but it would be much higher if I were eating normally.

I'm douvt I can help much, as I don't really know that much about you. Have you seen Dr Lachmann? What did he say? It is possible to have TMAU from a serious bacterial infection, which would be great news for you as you could probably then be cured (unlike most of us). The doctor would be able to advise you better than me!!

Good luck!!
Tenacity

Postby dev » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:07 pm

0.18 was the ratio when eating as usual.

It is possible to have TMAU from a serious bacterial infection, which would be great news for you as you could probably then be cured (unlike most of us).

Is it?

I have had an endoscopy a few weeks ago and they found a gastritis and a duodenitis. The lower part of the stomach had a yellowish colour and the doctor said it was probably helicobacter pylori because it looked a lot like helicobacter infection, so they got a couple of samples from that yellowish area.

The analysis for helicobacter pylori took about 30 minutes but the result was negative.

SOMEHOW I HAVE SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THE BACTERIAL INFECTION OF HELICOBACTER PYLORI BUT IT IS NOT HELICOBACTER PYLORI.

Are there other bacterial infections causing similar effects?
dev

Postby Tenacity » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't know, Dev. I still think you're asking the wrong person. Does anybody else here know more about this than me??

OK, so let's start with what I *do* know. Yes, it is supposedly possible to acquire TMAU via a bacterial infection. I think I'm right in saying that Dr Lachmann once had a patient who was cured with one really intense course of antibiotics. If you had this, though, I would imagine your total TMA output would be really high. What was this on your test results? You've only told me the TMA / TMA-n-oxide ratio. Also, when did you first get your symptoms? Have you had it since birth or since puberty (in which case my instinct would be to say it's genetic/metabolic) or did it come on all of a sudden later in life? (If it were later in life, I would be inclined to think bacteria might be the cause.)

My (limited) understanding of H pylori and other helicobacter-like organisms is that they mostly cause stomach inflammation and ulcers, etc. I think you can be infected for ages with no symptoms at all, but acute infection can cause severe pain and vomiting. Does any of this sound like you at all? I've never heard of helicobacter-like organisms causing odor, but there is still a lot to discover about them, and new links to well-known dieseases such as cancer are being discovered all the time.

I do really think you are best off talking to Dr Lachmann. Have you seen him??

Tx

PS: have you looked into other disorders such as dimethylsulifdemia / hypermethioninemia or dimethylglycinuria? I know absolutely NOTHING about them, as I already have a diagnosis, but it might be worth looking into for you???
Tenacity

Postby dev » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:59 pm

My test results were

TMA 9.7
TMAO 53
TMA/TMAO 0.18
Creatinine 10.0

Have you had it since birth or since puberty (in which case my instinct would be to say it's genetic/metabolic) or did it come on all of a sudden later in life? (If it were later in life, I would be inclined to think bacteria might be the cause.)

I think it was noticeable at 16 (but still bearable) and it is getting worse and worse over time.

My (limited) understanding of H pylori and other helicobacter-like organisms is that they mostly cause stomach inflammation and ulcers, etc.

There were no ulcers. The doctor just saw inflamation and said it was most probably H. Pylori but the tests for H. Pylori were negative. I just could see the are had a yellowish color (quite different from colour of the upper stomach, which was pinky).

Thank you.
dev

Postby dev » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm

9 months. I have been looking for a job since November 2012, but today

I HAVE FOUND A JOB

I was leaving the country next Saturday for good. Disappointed, frustrated, defeated.

Just when I thought all my efforts were in vane, when I thought I didn't have any chance for finding anything, when I had all my stuff packed and just waited for the day of my flight, when I was completely desperate.. I still kept pushing and I made it.
dev

Postby Tenacity » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Hey Dev,

Sorry I've been gone so long - life problems, I'm afraid. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I wish TMAU was the worst thing I have to deal with in life. It certainly doesn't help, though.

First things first: congratulations on finding a job! That's really great news. I hope you will be working with nice people who will understand about the problems you're having. It makes a difference - believe me.

Re: the test results, it's a tough one. I'm not a doctor, so there's only so much I can say. Your TMA does seem a little high, but it's within the accepted range. Similarly, most places will say that at least 85% of your TMAO and TMA-N-Oxide should be TMAO, and yours seems to be 85% exactly. So you're a borderline case, basically. That's not what I would expect to see from a person with a severe bacterial infection or a genetic abnormality.

In essence, I would expect somebody with only very mild symptoms to have these kind of results. Not somebody with the kind of severe issues you say you have.

There are two possibilities:
1. There is something affecting your FM03 enzymes or gut flora that is not a constant problem. It could be flaring up, giving you TMAU and then settling down again. If that's the case, you probably want to make sure you get a proper 24-hour sample done with a choline load *while you are definitely having symptoms*.
2. You have one of the other conditions I mentioned. If that's the case, you should maybe find other people to talk to online about that.

From what I understand, people with the other conditions still benefit from probiotics and copper chlorophyllin (google body mint if you don't know what that is), so it's worth working both of those things into your daily diet either way.

I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me I would insist on regular follow-up appointments with your consultant. Keep a copy of all your print-outs, push for tests you haven't had done yet and don't leave until you have exhausted every possibility. I would also consider working with a dietician to keep a food diary and figure out what foods you can and can't eat. It will help manage your condition, and may lead to a diagnosis once you figure out the common links between the foods you can eat. You will need to bring info about your condition to your initial appointment, as a lot of dieticians won't have heard of these things.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but hopefully it's ruled some things out.

Good luck!
Tenacity

Next

Return to general tmau topics