Coronary heart disease and TMAU

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Coronary heart disease and TMAU

Postby admin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 am

For informtaion:

we read with interest the above paper, "Gut flora metabolism of phosphatidylcholine promotes cardiovascular disease",
(Nature 2011;472:57-65) suggesting a role for trimethylamine N oxide (TMO ) in the development of atherosclerosis.We described a patient with a rare genetic disorder of trimethylamine metabolism namely the "Fish odour syndrome"(Li M, Al-Saraf A ,Sinclair G and Frohlich J,Canadian Medical Association Journal 2011;183:929-931).In this condition there is a decreased production of the TMO.Interestingly,this patient also has heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia which has not been systematically treated.Despite this and her age of 71 years the recent CT angiogram showed only a mild non- obstructive atherosclerotic disease involving the left anterior descending coronary artery only.

Based on the Hazen et al. data we hypothesize that, because of decreased production of TMO, individuals with this disorder may be protected against atherosclerosis.

Jiri Frohlich, MD, FRCPC
Min Li, MD, PhD
Healthy Heart Program,St.Paul's Hospital,Vancouver,B.C.
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine,UBC,Vancouver,B.C.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Coronary heart disease and TMAU

Postby admin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 am

43 yrs old male, diagnosed with TMAU over 10 years, No incidence of Coronary heart disease.

Please reply to this thread as above if you get a minute..
admin
Site Admin

Re: Coronary heart disease and TMAU

Postby londonbridge » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:00 am

60 years old male, non smoker, very good weight, very very fit and active - reasonable cholesterol @5 total and low blood pressure

I have over the years occasionally been aware of an "ammonia" like smell in my breadth feeling that it has come up from my gut.

Was very lucky 2 years ago to find by pure chance that my coronary arteries were blocked by 95% - had immediate triple by pass. Plus carotid blocked 45%!!!

Started dose of statins, baby aspirin and ramipril- the latter being to assist in the pliability of arteries not for blood pressure.

Am concerned that my arteries will continue to get blocked even though now being "ultra low risk" - however carotid blockage has since increased from 45% to 50% in 2 years!!!!!

I came across mention of TMOA on the BBC's 'Trust me I'm a Doctor" and found TMUA!!!

I would like to get tested for TMAU and if found to have condition take additional dietary action, etc. etc. to see if this can impact on build up of plaque.

Please let me know if this is of interest and you have any research you can point me to.

Best regards
londonbridge

Return to general tmau topics