Do you think I have TMAU?

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Do you think I have TMAU?

Postby fairy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Hello everyone! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong category... I wasn't too sure where to put it.

Anyway, I'm a 15 year old girl who believes she may have TMAU. I first became paranoid that I smelt bad when I was 11 years old. People would always cough and rub their noses around me, and ONLY around me. Then I remember one time when I was at a little Christmas party and my cousin was standing by me and said it stinks, and I couldn't smell a thing. When I turned 13, I stopped having these issues (or so I believe) but recently, these problems have came back. I remember I was walking with my friends, and this guy goes "does anyone else smell that?". Another time, we were walking in a group again and the SAME guy goes "It stinks over here" and then he started joking around and said "you gotta remember to wash under the balls". Then another of my guy friends was sitting by me at lunch and he said it smells bad. Another time, my friend was walking me to my class and he goes "do you have pot in your bag? I keep getting these whiffs of weed" and I've never even smoked weed!! Friday, I had to move desks temporarily and the girl I was sitting next to kept coughing... but the moment I moved away, she completely stopped.

If I do smell bad, then why won't anyone say it to my face? I'm sick and tired of all this mixed signals. Do you think I have TMAU or is this all in my head?
fairy

Re: Do you think I have TMAU?

Postby Weak » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 am

2 reasons why they wont confront you. First off they are ignorant, second off they are cowards.

There to scared to say anything, they hope someone else will, them saying things could blow up in there face and make them look bad. So its better to say snide comments under there breathe in an attempt to be funny.

They not only dont know what your going to but there to ignorant to think you may be going threw anything, it is easier to assume you just stink.
Weak

Postby Rosie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi there,

Poor you, I'm sure everyone on these boards can sympathise with this situation (is this in my head? could that smell be from me?!), but the best thing you could do is talk to your doctor, if you haven't already, and explain what's been happening. Perhaps print off some information from this site first so they have something to read - many (perhaps most) doctors won't know what TMAU is.

It may not be TMAU, this may all be co-incidental, but sometimes people with TMAU can't detect the odour they give off, so it's worth trying to address the problem rather than worrying about it. Do you have a close friend or family member you could ask about it, someone who would give you an honest response? Sometimes stress affects the way we smell, and sometimes the symptoms are transitory, so it may be that you only smell bad at certain times - perhaps when you're upset or nervous. And since TMAU is strongly linked to eating certain foods, you may be smelling worse after you've eaten a burger, or boiled egg or a number of the other dangerous foods! Some of the smells TMAU sufferers can give off are peculiar to say the least, and the weed smell you mention is one I've had myself, which makes me wonder if it's TMAU rather than something else. However, don't go experimenting with your diet too much until you have some more understanding of the problem...if there is one. Good luck.

Rosie
Rosie

Postby fairy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for your replies!

Yes! This whole TMAU thing is so confusing because I can't smell myself. Some days, I don't get reactions from other people, and other days, people are coughing, rubbing their noses and making comments. It's so humiliating :(

I asked my sister if I smell bad and she said no. But I believe I read somewhere online that your family cannot smell you. I would ask my best friend but she would probably make fun of me, or something haha.

I'm gonna ask my Mom about getting tested for TMAU again. I'll keep you guys updated :)

edit: Does the color of your pee have anything to do with TMAU? For the past month, I have had dark yellow pee, and ever since my pee has changed colors, I have been having those "you stink!" reactions.
fairy

Postby Divinefapper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 pm

a
Last edited by Divinefapper on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divinefapper

Postby dev » Wed May 22, 2013 1:38 pm

People from the other side of a 2 lanes street say I have bad breath.

Late at night, when everything is quiet, when there is no traffic and conversations CAN BE HEARD far away, I have been able to confirm on several occasions that my smell can be noticed at 100 meters.

I have looked for help and consult to many doctors. Not a single one doctor have ever admitted I have bad smell.

... And I am 40.

Hippocratic doctors. I am so fed up of them. They are useless.
dev

Postby Liajhone » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:32 am

Trimethylaminuria is a problem in which a person's human is incapable to crack down trimethylamine, a material that has a powerful fragrance. Trimethylamine has been described as smell like rotting seafood, rotting egg, junk, or pee. As this material makes up in the whole body, it causes patients to give off a powerful fragrance in their perspiration, pee, and breathing. The concentration of the fragrance may differ over time. The fragrance can get involved with many factors of daily way of life, affecting a individual's connections, community connections, and profession. Some people with trimethylaminuria experience depressive disorders and community isolation as a result of this situation. :)
Liajhone

Return to general tmau topics