Moderator: admin

Anyone know anything about this?

Postby bcto1ma » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I found on internet but is very expensive
http://www.abcam.com/FMO3-antibody-ab62178.html
bcto1ma

Re: Anyone know anything about this?

Postby Weak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

If something is too good to be true it normally is, chance are it is a scam because ive seen alot of scams popping up all over the place every now and then.

Someone should test this out though as it seems interesting. If it gets good reviews from a reputable member on the forum I will consider buying it.
Weak

Postby PoetFire » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 am

I don't know enough about this concept but at the moment I am unsure if it is feasible or not, with the presumption it is not feasible.

FMO3 enzyme is in our cells, so it's not just a case of taking some orally like digestive enzymes. The same as a cell enzyme deficiency is to blame for cystic fibrosis. However it has been mentioned that it may in theory be of some use orally, such as oxidizing things in the gut. But you would think if it was any use this way it would be mentioned already, but then maybe not enough interest in FMO3 is a reason we don't know either way. We would need to get advice from experts on the subject to know if the concept was any use or not. Also there may be unknown side effects etc.

The product you see is for research. They probably would not let the public buy it.
PoetFire

Postby Tenacity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Yikes, we really need a scientist on this forum! Poetfire is right, this is a product for research, NOT for human consumption. I therefore doubt very much that it's a scam, as Weak suggests.

I used to work for a medical charity that sponsored a lot of research using knockout models. These are animals that have been genetically engineered to develop a disease, or an aspect of it, so that drug targets and therapies can be tested on them. I had some ethical issues with it, to be honest, but not enough to make me want to quit my job. Anyway, I guess if you can't test drugs on a genetically engineered animal, then introducing antibodies to attack a protein might be the next best thing. This is (I think) what this product is designed to do. The antibodies attack FM03 in otherwise healthy mice, rats, chimps etc to effectively induce TMAU in them. You can then give drugs to the animals and see if they work before you proceed to the next phase of clinical trials.

I therefore wouldn't eat this unless you want to make your TMAU worse! Er, not that you should ever ingest products designed for animal research, needless to say. :D
Tenacity

Postby PoetFire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks Tenacity. For some reason I missed this reply. I was being a bit sloppy because I was thinking of 'recombinant protein' which I have seen a few companies sell for research, rather than antibodies. I guessed both were for research only and not to the public, so figured the general answer to us would be the same (though I see now antibodies are the opposite of what we want :P)
PoetFire

Postby Tenacity » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 pm

No worries, PoetFire. I got it wrong, anyway. These antibodies aren't designed for use in animal models. I do understand science a bit, but I'm still quite bad at it :(. Anyway, as we both said, this is for research and not intended to be taken by the general public!
Tenacity

Return to general tmau topics