Work

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Work

Postby Monkeyman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi, am interested how people gain employment ,do people just put up with the comments and ridicule or do people work from home.

Thanks.
Monkeyman

Re: Work

Postby Weak » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Put up with the comments. Most of the time people are too polite to say anthing to your face and for me I like to wear headphones and listen to music on low. That way I can hear when people ask me to do things but at the same time pretend to ignore comments other people say around me... genuis right?

As for working at home, its a good dream if you could pull it off but rather unlikely and the pay probably wont be to great i would imagine.
Weak

Postby Ellie Girl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:02 pm

I put up with it to a degree and put people straight if I think they need it. I also let colleagues know that I have TMAU - especially if I have a meeting with people who don't know me. It seems hard to do but people are really helpful and understanding if they know - it's the ignorance that causes the rudeness and unpleasantess.
Ellie Girl

Postby egglover » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm

I put up with some horrible comments when I was working in an office. A few weeks after I'd start a job they would move my desk to a window (without telling me) which was permanantly open and airfresheners would miraculously appear all around me. Everytime it got too bad I moved to another job but of course the same thing happened

If I'd have known it was due to a medical condition I hope I would have had the guts to tell everyone in the office. Sure - you'll still get some people who say cruel things but you'll also find alot of sympathetic people aswell. I'm looking to retrain after time off to bring up my son as I refuse to let TMAU make me a social outcast- and a poor one at that ! However - if you think you'll be upset by these comments then I'd choose your employment with this in mind. I'm training to work with special needs kids (they were the ones that told me I stunk and prompted me to take the test!). I love their honesty and the fact they don't judge you....just accept you for what you are. Good luck finding employment
egglover

Postby Weak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Ellie Girl wrote:I put up with it to a degree and put people straight if I think they need it. I also let colleagues know that I have TMAU - especially if I have a meeting with people who don't know me. It seems hard to do but people are really helpful and understanding if they know - it's the ignorance that causes the rudeness and unpleasantess.

Wow, I couldnt do that. Just because of that deer caught in the headlights puppy dog look people give when they find out. Ive never actually told anyone myself but there are a very few people that found out on there own and its pretty unbearable being around them. Feels like there faking being nice to help me out and my pride wont accept that. Its like I am better than most of these people in every way possible, stronger, smarter, funnier etc... what right do they have to pity me -__-
Weak

Postby Ellie Girl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 am

It's nothing to do with pity, it's about education. Nobody pities me. But it's helpful for them to understand the reality of the condition. It helps them and it helps me. There's no sob story and there's no pat on the back. Good human relationships are built on understanding. It might not work for you but it's definitely worked for me.
Ellie Girl

Postby egglover » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I agree with Ellie girl.. If we don't tell people we have this condition and educate them a little on what TMAU is then we're not giving them a chance. I'm starting to tell close friends and feel a huge relief having done so. When we go out for meals I can let myself go a little and maybe have a glass of wine or coffee knowing they will understand and - hopefully- tell me if I'm starting to emit an odour so I'll know to stop or have an extra Nullo.
It's not my fault I have this condition and I'm not going to shy away from society. My son has autism and tourrettes and I isolated myself for far too long because I was scared of people's reactions. Maybe it's just because I'm older and have more confidence but I'm not going to let TMAU ruin my life :D
egglover

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am

Good for you egglover! Superb attitude! :D
Ellie Girl

Postby Weak » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:46 am

Hmm, I never thought about it that way before. I'll consider being more open about my condition as well then.
Weak

Return to general tmau topics