who is researching a cure? Anyone know?

i only know Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia

Possible cure.
http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitos ... chive.html
http://www.ptcbio.com/clinical_trials_ataluren
bcto1ma

Re: Who is researching a cure

Postby Weak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:29 am

This sounds very promising... Too little too late if it were up to me though. Could have really used a break through about 3-4 years ago. But heck i can wait another year or 2 for some real treatment other than dieting.
Weak

Postby c64 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm not sure, but I read something about an Australian Trimethylaminuria Foundation that had something promising... but I emailed them some days ago and they didn't reply me. They also needed donations, so I don't think it's being researched.
c64

Postby italiana29 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:16 am

British scientists discovered Tmau and also the UK Medical Research Council (MRC) informed that a group of four scientists, a British government-funded renowned institution, and a private British institution, Trinzyme (UK) Limited ("Trinzyme"), have been awarded £358,000/GBP for the preliminary phase (the first 2 years) of research into “Therapy for the body and breath malodour disorder Trimethylaminuria (TMAU).” To put this into perspective, this is equivalent to €432,403/EUR, or $577,167/USD. This is more than half a million US dollars! This is a potential therapeutic treatment for TMAU, under a collaborative academic-company funded grant initiative.

X
italiana29

Postby PoetFire » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 pm

There should be more information about the Trinzyme project in the next few months. I have heard a bit about it and it is very interesting and I believe it is a very good lead. They are having to keep relatively quiet about it at the moment for complex reasons.

Re The Monell Center won the NORD grant of $25K that our community raised and that should be published on the next few months (?)

Re Ataluren is a drug that seems to void 'nosense mutations' in genes. This is one of the most severe forms of mutation (which most of us probably don't have). This would be an immense breakthrough because nonsense mutation cause a 'false stop' in creating a protein.

Also there is probably a lot of interest in trimethylamine-n-oxide now because of research by the Cleveland Clinic associating high TMAO levels with heart disease. Perhaps this will lead to research in stopping TMA production etc.
PoetFire

Return to general tmau topics