My 8 year old daughter

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

My 8 year old daughter

Postby watodo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Yesterday my 8 year old daughter came home and had a very strong fish odor. It was on her clothes, but it was strongest on her hair which was sweaty from running. He breath, feet, and armpits didn't have the same odor or smell unusual. He pee did not smell different than her usual pee smell. After a shower there was a slight fishy smell from her head/ears which was still slightly present this morning.

My questions are:
1: how does tmau start? Is it an all around smell, or does it develop from certain parts of the body?
2: does it start mild in children and develop (spread) as they age?

Thank you.
watodo

Re: My 8 year old daughter

Postby bigvern » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi watodo,

my own symptoms first manifested when I was in my late 20's (i'm a male)

I have never been able to smell the odour on myself so can't say if it comes from one particular place more than another.

what I do know is that the smell can be excreted through the body via the breath, sweat etc. though I am no medical expert and there are so many unkowns with this disease.

Have a look at Dr Lachmans faqs/interview here, which mentions hormones and there is another question in there about an 8 year old girl.

Not sure why it suddenly started with me at my age either. sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I perhaps would consider going to your GP and maybe getting your daughter tested. before you go I would print out the link from the homepage which you could give to the dr. we have many people on the forums who have reported that their Dr has nvere heard of this and sends them away without any further intervention.

You could maybe call your Dr first and give them a chance to read up on it before you go in and point him to this website and the Drs faqs. There is a test availbale which will tell you if your daughter has tmau.

heres the link (you will need to right mouse click and open the link in a new page or tab)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/b ... ylaminuria

good luck..
bigvern

Postby Amelia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 pm

In my 8 year old daughter it was her underarm / breath odour that we noticed when she was aged 3, and as I've become more conscious about it I do notice her hair as well now, but not feet / urine - so it seems to vary a lot. Over the past few years I haven't noticed much of a change, but am apprehensive about the affect of puberty to come. I was very lucky getting her diagnosed - my GP had never heard of TMAU but immediately referred her for the urine test based on my description.
Amelia

Postby watodo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Thank you both for your replies...

Dublin mother when you noticed this was it there everyday or come and go?

Do you recall how long it took for you to notice it progress to another area?

Have you ever heard of any other case where its just in the eyes/ear/hair are but not in the armpits/breath/or any other such area?
Sorry for all the questions, but as you guys know it's hard to get any answers on this topic.

Thanks again for all your help
watodo

Postby Amelia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:15 pm

it was on and off initially - on a hot day or after a visit to the playground. but now i'm more aware and try to keep track of food / activity and the outcome. but i only noticed the hair recently. sorry i can't be more specific - it's all still a bit of a puzzle to me aswell!
Amelia

Return to general tmau topics