Liver Transplant?

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Liver Transplant?

Postby Weak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:52 pm

I am a really curious person especially when it comes to TMAU. I was reading and I saw that essentially a Liver Transplant can cure someone with TMAU? Has anyone tried this and how would someone even go about getting this.

Do you think doctors will just refuse it since your near dead or dying?
Weak

Re: Liver Transplant?

Postby c64 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I thought of this too, but I found this in the interview with Dr. Lachmann:

Is it possible, some day, to cure TMAU?

In principle the disease could be cured by liver transplantation. At the moment the risks of this procedure would far outweigh the benefits, but one day a stem cell treatment might become available. Gene therapy would also be an option, but I think that it is a long way off.

I don't know anything about this subject, but it'd be nice to know what risks are we talking about.
c64

Postby Weak » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

c64 wrote:
I don't know anything about this subject, but it'd be nice to know what risks are we talking about.

Agreed. I mean theoritically our liver cannot proccess FMO3 so it sits around and gets expelled through our body. Replace the liver fix the problem. If there are extreme risk involved then i also would like to hear about them, heck it may be worth the risk.

Personally i think he is reffering to the risk involved with any surgery which is the body rejecting the organ and being placed on immunorepressant for the rest of your life... which is one thing i wouldnt mind if it meant being done with this ordeal.
Weak

Postby c64 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Weak wrote:
c64 wrote:

Agreed. I mean theoritically our liver cannot proccess FMO3 so it sits around and gets expelled through our body. Replace the liver fix the problem. If there are extreme risk involved then i also would like to hear about them, heck it may be worth the risk.

Personally i think he is reffering to the risk involved with any surgery which is the body rejecting the organ and being placed on immunorepressant for the rest of your life... which is one thing i wouldnt mind if it meant being done with this ordeal.

I wouldn't really mind about it either.
Anyway, I'm sure if this is properly studied, there won't be any risks.
c64

Return to general tmau topics