Are most TMAU sufferers multiracial or at least colored?

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Are most TMAU sufferers multiracial or at least colored?

Postby Cres » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Are multiracial people genetically predisposed to TMAU? Almost everyone who has talked about their TMAU on YouTube and TV have been colored people (that reside in Western countries). I am also bi-racial, with mild secondary TMAU (the symptom isn't that mild though, I feel). I'm not a racist, this is just speculation and it's just a pattern I've noticed, so don't get your panties in a twist.
Cres

Re: Are most TMAU sufferers multiracial or at least colored?

Postby sacrosanct » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I can tell you I am 100% caucasian, and have primary Trimethylaminuria. In fact almost all of the early videos I saw on TMAU were of caucasian people.

Whether there is a propensity to race, I am unsure. But it can certainly occur in any racial gene pool.

Perhaps there is simply a bias in the number of TMAU sufferers of multiracial ethnicity who are open YouTubers.

If there was a Russian Trimethylaminuria video, would you know it was about Trimethylamnuria? Also I am pretty sure China has its own Google knockoff called Baidu. That stands to reason that they also have a knockoff YouTube.

It's also difficult for most people in Western Countries who have Trimethylaminuria to get jobs. Imagine how difficult it must be to live in a third world country, then to save up, buy a computer and buy access to the internet . . . .
sacrosanct

Postby Tenacity » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Not sure why people would get their panties in a twist? Sounds like quite a reasonable question to me, actually, and one I hadn't considered.

Most common and well-studied conditions have epidemiological (i.e. social statistics) information about them. Unfortunately, because TMAU is such a rare condition it's unlikely there's been enough research to give a clear answer.

I found this on PubMed where all the medical journal articles are published: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9110361. It says that regular members of white British populations, on average, convert TMA into TMA N-Oxide a bit better than people in Jordan, Ecuador and New Guinea - so you could be right, although it was an extremely small study.

FYI, I am a mixture of caucasian ethnicities and very white, but I have TMAU.

Hope that helps...
Tenacity

Postby PoetFire » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:24 pm

My impression is that it is probably 'universal' across all races but there does seem to be a larger % 'black' in groups and USA meetups (for example).
Dr Preti of Monell has mentioned this as well.
He said it could just be that more are coming forward. This might well be the reason.
But I have seen all races really, but there does seem a higher black % than expected.
But then we don't know if they are all TMAU, or even if someone does have a odor problem (rather just identifies with the problem).
I'm white (Celtic heritage).

Someone wrote a uni thesis on TMAU (herself black, not studying medicine, as I recall), said the FMO3 common variants in blacks tended to differ from whites (dirrent polymorphisms ? ... maybe a rule for all races ??). Or something like that.
I don't know if this is correct.

My own current view is that oxidizing enzymes like FMO3 are very broad spectrum in what they do, and have been with us since the beginning of life (i.e. microbes).
I group it along with the CYP450s as part of the important oxidizing group family.
FMO3 does not seem to be 'essential' (not yet recognised as this anyway) but maybe plays a 'clean up' role.

As TMAU is not an 'illness' in the obvious visual sense, and most of us are probably 'transient', I think it just goes unnoticed over the generations.
IMHO I think many might be in the 'zone', carrying small faults in various arrangemnts.
The likes of (currently deemed trivial) variants at codon 158 :
about 25-40% whites are estimated to carry this.

I think 'mild genetic' FMO3 smells disorder is fairly common (maybe 1-5%?) but tragically no-one is collecting data,
so it just goes on to the next generation as an unknown disorder or deemed very rare.
PoetFire

Return to general tmau topics