Unsure if I have TMAU

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Unsure if I have TMAU

Postby ellie256 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:55 am

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could answer my question. For the past two weeks I've been smelling a strong urine smell on and off. I realised it was coming from me after I could smell it in several locations. Other people can smell me too as I've heard several people complaining of a urine smell. I've got a doctors appointment in a few days and am embarrassed about talking to my doctor about this. I know it's nothing to do with my personal hygiene as I shower frequently. It's really affecting me as I'm paranoid when I'm around people in case I smell. Is urine a smell associated with TMAU? I've looked around on the internet and the main smells seem to be fish and rotten garbage etc. I've seen a few posts mention urine so I was just wondering if its likely I have developed TMAU? I'm 22 and have only been experiencing this smell for a few weeks.

Thanks for your help.
ellie256

Re: Unsure if I have TMAU

Postby robert123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Definately urine is one of the smells associated with tmau, while I'm unsure whether I have tmau I do suffer from a urine smell now and again amongst all the other bad odours I emit. I think it's interesting though if you only have a urine smell perhaps that implies you don't have tmau as usually tmau sufferers have a range of smells. To be honest I'm probably one of the least informed posters on this forum so my opinion isn't worth too much but I wonder have you got some sort of infection rather than tmau like a urinary tract infection, bacterial vaginosis etc ?
robert123

Postby Mermadia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi I'm not sure about the urine smell as everyone is different, but I would go see your doctor just to put your mind at rest, I was really embarrassed talking about it at first but now I tell everyone, even my dentist today who had never even heard of it, good luck hope it goes OK with your doctor
Mermadia

Postby sacrosanct » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Ellie,

I have never had anyone mention a urine smell on me. Usually fecal or fishy.

Usually when a smell of urine is discussed, it is the smell of ammonia that is associated with the urine.

Google has pretty much made Trimethylamine the go to result for anyone complaining of an odour that is a little out of the ordinary. Whilst those of us with it are happy for the awareness, the truth is most people suffering from some form of malodour do not have Trimethylaminuria.

If I were your GP, and you presented with those symptoms, I would probably test for Helicobacter Pylori first. It is a common bacterial infection that breaks urea down into ammonia and carbon dioxide, which is then given off on the breath and systemically.

If you have other GI symptoms, this may be an indicator.

Beyond this I am not prepared to start diagnosing people over the internet, and nor should anyone else. Do yourself a favour and if you haven't already, go straight to your GP and tell them your symptoms.

Best of luck,
sacrosanct

Return to general tmau topics