Questions to people with TMAU

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Questions to people with TMAU

Postby Karmic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:43 am

I want to know from you guys, so please share your experiences.

> are you able to smell your odor? if yes, what sort of odor does it resembles?
> does your sweat smells?
> does the odor stick on your clothes?
> which part of your body produces the most odor?
> do you produce odor even if you're not sweating?
> is the odor unbearable to others that they resort to covering their noses?
> does the odor surfaces even after a thorough shower?
> can the odor fill up a whole room?
Karmic

Re: Questions to people with TMAU

Postby bigvern » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:50 pm

how do karmic, if you look at the poll results on the homepage there is a poll listed asking if people can smell it on themselves,, me personally';;

I cant detect it at all, though I can smell other odours on myself - say normal BO. Apparently some people cant detect the smell in large quantaties whilst others can detect it strongly in minute quantaties.

Not sure - as I can't smell it on myself though I definatelty think stress makes it worse

Normal washing works for me though I suppose the smell will stick

I dnot know but from what I understand the odour comes from out in your breath sweat and through your pores.

Yes - i've had people comment in the past when I was not sweating and wasnt stressed

Never had someone cover their nose - though had some pretty nasty comments

. does the odor surfaces even after a thorough shower?
Definately the odour can be lessened but not eliminated, though a shower will help to a degree it will still seep out in your breath and pores

Not happened to me though other people have said it does.

The whole things a bit aof a bummer really - you can have immaculate personal hygene and still smell badly...

r u diagnosed with tmau?
bigvern

Postby Karmic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 am

will it be possible to tell that i have TMAU by eating lots of food with choline like eggs and have some people to check if i have odor?
Karmic

Postby bigvern » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:59 pm

The ideas is correct and it may indicate that you might have TMAU but its not definative (eg. some of your friends may not be able to detect the odour in the way others can) . You really need a proper diagnosis by urine test - you would eat foods high in choline then your urine would be analysed, your GP should be able to give you this test or refer you on to Dr Lachman in London. The test results give you a definative answer and also an idea of how badly you might suffer from TMAU.

If you really don't want to see your GP then it's probably something worthwhile doing if you have friends you can really trust..

Cheers,
bigvern

Postby Karmic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:47 pm

I ate 6 eggs, 2 cans of tuna and drank almost 1 liter of milk and played badminton with a buddy. I soaked my shirt with sweat and then i asked my friend and some staff in the sports club which im close with to check me for odor. They said i smell sour and i notice that they have to really get their noses near my body in order to detect it. Do you think i have a minute case of TMAU? i really want to know cause its been buggin me for almost a year now.

By the way, i am really fat(180+ lbs) and im diabetic. Do you think that there is other cause why i have body odor? especially when im sweating.
Karmic

Postby bigvern » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:24 am

I’ve personally never heard of the smell described as sour, but the words people use to describe the smell is wide ranging. The most common description is like rotting fish, so I can’t really say what this means. Can you smell any odour yourself?. I think most people can definitely tell the difference between a standard BO type smell and anything unusual, There are other medical / metabolic conditions that can cause different odours. I would take comfort from the fact that people had to get near you to smell it, some people with tmau can clear a room. I’m not medically qualified so can’t say if diabetes and weight can have any effect.
How long after loading up with eggs etc. did you do the smell test ?

If you don’t mind me asking why can’t you go to your GP, it certainly sounds as though you would benefit from a test and having been through the tests myself they are easy to do and everyone is really supportive.

All the best - BV
bigvern

Postby Donald » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:58 pm

My wife and I are both abundantly aware of my smell, although others I have asked say they cannot smell anything unusual. I have smoked a pipe for more than forty years, so it is likley that I stink of tobacco, even though I don't smell this particular odour. Pipe smoking tends to dull your sense of smell over the years. It may be that people would have to be in my company for a while before they would be aware of the TMAU smell. Nobody sticks around that long. My own smell is faecal, rather than fishy. If you can imagine someone with diarrhoea, then that is me.

What I do find is that our washing machine retains the odour, and even after washing the smell is still on my clothes. Bathing cleans the skin, but does nothing for the smell. I think that fabrics are particularly susceptible to smell. Coming into the house when the windows are closed on a hot day, the smell is the first thing to greet you.
Donald

Postby TMAU-SUFFER » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Very rare, sort of odor : Goat - fish - sh*t ... :(

i cant smell my sweat , the othres smell my FoooT

no,

FOOOOT, Mouth Bad breath ( Halitosis )

maybe yes because, after shawers and witout any phisical effort the others can smell the odor !

YEESS , covering their noses, blow nose ..

> does the odor surfaces even after a thorough shower?
Yeees
yes in the room and in the street too
i can see my teacher and others in the first table in the classrome blow her nose when I sat in the last table in the class i think the cause is the foot odor :(
TMAU-SUFFER

Postby Donald » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi, TMAU-Suffer,

Welcome to the club. We may be small in number, but people will know we have been. I just joined a few days before you, and am still awaiting the results of my urine test.

It sure ain't a bundle of fun having this condition, but try not to take it too seriously. For Christmas, I am going to make a list of people I don't like, or more particularly, those who don't like me, and go and visit them. Why should I stink alone?

At least, in this group, you are among people who understand. Bigvern is a good example to us all, and thanks to Grahame, we can talk to each other.

Best wishes.

Donald.
Donald

Postby Amelia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:59 am

karmic,
in terms of eating all the forbidden foods and then asking someone if they can smell any odour, i've been keeping a diary of my daughter's food / activity / odour, and find that the odour seems to come a couple of days after the forbidden food, not the same day......but then sometimes it's worse than usual and she hasn't eaten anything wrong....and other times she'll eat fish and it won't be worse than her baseline usual......so it's hard to tell!
Amelia

Next

Return to general tmau topics