Genetic treatment?

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Genetic treatment?

Postby merkap » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:23 am

As of today I have not read anything about genetic treatment of TMAU.
Would be very nice to get info about anything in this field, can our defect gen for TMAU be modified in such a way that we at least can have a hope for a cure?

Is there any scientific work going on about this?
And if not, how can we initiate research - money?

Completely unknowing about genetics but after reading all success stories about how different genetic miracles have been performed, is it impossible to do anything serious about this misbehaving little FMO3 b---d?
merkap

Re: Genetic treatment?

Postby PoetFire » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:04 pm

It probably will be 'cured' someday with gene therapy. Maybe even it's possible now. The problem is, because it's regarded a 'trivial' enzyme, no-one is probably researching it much in any way.
PoetFire

Postby merkap » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Yes, you are maybe right PoetFire, about the triviality I mean. No challenge in researching about this.
But if we (TMAU sufferers) maybe where a bigger part of the population it certainly was another matter.

Gene therapy is one way to get a cure, are there other cures - organ transplants?
merkap

Postby smelly » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:58 pm

merkap,

there is research being instigated by 2 groups that Im aware of.

One was I think via an Australian website? Its a while since I read about it but I think they were raising aspecific amount, through donations, to start a laboratory research study (your favourite, men in white coats again!) I would have to trawl the web to try and find the site because it was a number of years ago I read about it. It may have been mentioned on a yahoo or curezone TMAU chatroom? Does anyone else remember seeing this?

The other area of research is http://www.meboresearch.org Something I really like about this site is that they are looking at really useful research like maybe a hand held device to measure odour so that sufferers can accurately measure how much odour they are producing at any given moment so you can relax when you are odour free and can think about what triggered a smelly reaction (since a lot of us people with odour - TMAU or no TMAU - do not smell the odour some others do smell from us.)

:ugeek:
smelly

Postby shania12345 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Also the NORD fund,we need to raise $35,000 in order for research to start,we have about $28,000 now if anyone is interested in donating,the Yahoo group mentions it periodically.

Shania
shania12345

Return to general tmau topics