general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Cassie on UK TV Thu 24th March

Postby PoetFire » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:42 am

PoetFire

Re: Cassie on UK TV Thu 24th March

Postby PinkPanther » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Exciting!

I saw this advertised on Channel 5 last night. Yet again the media fixate on the fish odour. We've had "The Boy Who Smells of Fish" followed by "The Woman Who Smells of Fish". What's next? "The Celebrity on Benefits Who Smells of Fish"?

What about those of us who smell like poo, eggy pumps and old dustbins? Don't we count?

Just kidding. ;)

I'm obviously pleased to see another bit of publiclity for this condition. I couldn't go public like that in a million years. Hats off to all those who have the guts to do it, they're very brave IMO.

I've been toying with the idea of making my partner watch it and telling him I think that's what's wrong with me. The trouble is he just acts like I'm mental if I ever broach the subject (which is v. rare). Gawd, I'm not even brave enough to watch it with someone!

I'll definitely be watching it, either alone or ?

Trouble is, the next day I've got an appointment somewhere I've never been before - I've got this irrational fear that if I watch something like that it'll make me even more anxious about smelling and that'll make me smell worse....I might just record it.

Thank-yous to Cassie and all the other courageous ones.
PinkPanther

Postby PoetFire » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:48 am

It wouldn't surprise me if the tmau story ends up on next weeks Gogglebox.

I see TMA as the 'foot in the door' to the concept of metabolic body odors
Its the only volatile for MBO that anyone has tested

Yes its very brave that someone goes on tv and other media.
I'm amazed at the people who do. Been quite a few now, but it hasn't seemed to make that breakthrough impact. Nobodies fault.

I reckon maybe 1% of population have MBO issues of some sort. Most being transient, as if farting.
But most won't understand the concept yet, or don't identify with a fish smell.

Well such programmes on TV give us hope anyway
PoetFire

Postby PoetFire » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:51 am

I noticed channel 5 put the programme advert on their youtube site (no sign of Cassie)
Seems to be the only ad in the last few weeks so maybe they have high hopes for this series.
PoetFire

Postby PinkPanther » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:53 pm

PoetFire wrote:I
I see TMA as the 'foot in the door' to the concept of metabolic body odors
Its the only volatile for MBO that anyone has tested

Totally agree.

It seems odd to me that it's been around for probably as long as man himself, but nobody's been interested enough to investigate it that much until now. I suppose because of the low number of sufferers?

I remember desperately searching for information many years ago and coming up nothing much at all. There was no internet then and i had to use our local libraries and 2nd hand book shops. The only thing I found was an old paperback written by a French doctor that had a chapter about people who smelled oddly. One was a woman who smelled of violets (lucky moo!) and another was a man with Bromhidrosis. That was a new word to me, but I knew it wasn't my problem as I don't sweat that much. It did, however, mention the apocrine sweat glands and how they can smell different to normal sweat. They seemed to have some kind of relevance to me. It didn't have any solutions though.

Apart from that, I was totally in the dark until the internet came along.
PinkPanther

Postby PoetFire » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:30 am

yes FMO of some type has probably been in living things since very early on.
It's in microbes etc.
It's an enzyme that oxidizes or reduces a wide range of sulfides and amines (of a certain structure) that are common in humans and the environment

I think the disorder has gone 'unnoticed' for a few typical factors :
the person usually can't smell themselves
neither can parents or siblings (carriers)
I suspect carriers tend to not smell sufferers. This could be maybe 20% population.
Most cases are probably 'genetically' mild, which expresses itself as the person being 'clean'' except for a 'farting' problem, with the occasional defecation.

The 2 common 'minor faults' in whites : E158K maybe 40%, E308G maybe 20%
Researchers view it as minor faults are harmless unless proven not to be
Problem is no-one researches much

Perhaps TMA shows up in those with severe TMAU1. I'm not sure.

RE TV, There was a guy on (4 million viewers) One Show about 6 years ago
I thought it would result in many new people and awareness but it didnt seem to
I think those 'lost' (i.e. not found the forums etc) don't see the connection with TMAU even if they hear about it
I reckon theres maybe 1% prone to 'farting'.

Even amongst ourselves there was not much internet gathering places until about 2008.
Before that I think the MBO's would gather on Brom forums, and it seems to me there's hardly any Brom's about now, which is odd cos I still smell people with 'washable body odor'
PoetFire

Postby PoetFire » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:02 am

programme is tonight.
will be a few reading the forum tonight I guess.
PoetFire

Postby sweatybetty » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Just watched this - though Cassie came across well - she seems such a cool person - and Dr Lachmann successfully corrected the image that it is just fish odour I thought overall the programme coverage and time allocated (despite the hook of fish odour in the programme title (pun intended) was disappointing.

Cassie's mum spoke about how Cassie's sister complained about the odour when sharing a room but the social impact and the potential problems from how other people react was not developed. For many this is the most difficult part of the condition.
sweatybetty

Postby Lisa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Very disappointed.
Lisa

Return to general tmau topics