I spoke with coworkers today

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

I spoke with coworkers today

Postby Unlucky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi,

Today I decided to speak to my coworkers. I gathered the team together and told that I believe to have a disease which causes emitting bad smells. All of them said that they never noticed, even after reassuring them multiple times that is ok to tell.

My thoughts: they either didn't tell the truth or just didn't associate the smells with me. This is really strange.

What are your experiences in this subject?
Unlucky

Re: I spoke with coworkers today

Postby beautifulsoul39 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Firstly well done for being so brave ,from experience people are usually quiet because its such a shocking thing for them to comprehend you may even get people confiding in you asking you stuff ,please don't try analyze too much if people can smell you as most generally cant ( i found smokers cant smell me as much ) and some can but won't tell you ,you can now breathe mentally and if you get comments just think like i do " yeah i stink deal with it to them " or i say " blooming heck i stink today and they laugh but not in horrible way
beautifulsoul39

Postby Oneneo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi,

You've highlighted the most frustrating aspect of this condition, you build up the courage and nerve to tackle the elephant in the room...and the response is 'what elephant?'. I've experienced this quite a number of times and still can't work out what is real and what is imaginary. I've had so many digs over the years that I go into every social situation waiting for the penny to drop, horrible burden to carry around, so it's understandable to want to beat them to the punch and declare your predicament, but when you get a surprised reaction, for me it kinda throws a spanner in the works, your left feeling very exposed and a bit foolish.. Very difficult to find someone to trust, even family will say what they think is best and avoid the truth to protect you. Nevertheless what you did was brave and inspiring, I'd wager most folk wouldn't have the guts.

All the best
Oneneo

Postby PoetFire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:36 pm

My own view on this is that I suspect most of us are 'genetically mild' cases, even possibly currently termed by geneticists as 'carriers' rather than sufferers, which expresses itself as having a transient odor problem, perhaps as little as 1-10% of the time, or triggered by emotions and such things. But if you can't smell it then it's a bit like terrorism where the fear is all the time.

I think 'severe' genetic cases are pretty rare and make up the stats used in any official paper on TMAU (i.e. people think it's rare), but most of us are 'mild' cases and have a transient problem which is not much comfort when you don't know when you smell and so understandably worry about smelling all the time.
PoetFire

Postby dell80 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:34 pm

fair play to you for asking, i asked my gf who i was in college with and she said yea every day and thats a mild diagonis of14 I got
dell80

Postby Unlucky » Sat May 14, 2016 2:22 am

I'm leaving this company very soon, so I thought I will make a small update.
After that event things actually improved. Pretty much no bad comments from that time.
Maybe it was worth it after all.
Unlucky

Return to general tmau topics