Emotional Effects of TMAU

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Emotional Effects of TMAU

Postby magsie » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has tried hypnosis or other techniques to help them overcome the emotional effects of TMAU.
Living with this condition and never knowing if we're going to have a good day today, or if we're going to stink the place out can play havoc with our emotional health. Our self confidence slips through the floor and the bad vibes we get from other people can really depress us. I listened to a CD on self esteem the other night, and was aware that when I went out into town yesterday I was holding my head up high. I have bought another CD & a book to read & try & uplift myself out of the mire of negativity that comes my way everyday at work. A few years ago I did a weekend NLP based course & walked on fire, a couple of people went on stage & overcome phobias of spiders/worms on the course too. I remember feeling very boyant in my mood for a couple of months after that, nothing seemed to get me down and I was thinking hopefull & positive thoughts. I did'nt get any success coming my way, & life/job remained the same, but I had self esteem and confidence.
Now I realise that's all been chipped away by other's insults/complaints and by my suffering bad odours and other health problems to boot.! Life is'nt a bed of roses for the vast majority of people, but we've got this other problem to cope with too.
I am going to try using the CDS to improve my confidence/self esteem/ reduce stress. The thing is if we can lift our mood, then other peoples comments won't tear us apart so much, it'll be like water off a ducks back.
I've tried another technique of imagining those work colleagues sitting at their desk surrounded by a mirrored wall - the mirror faces them, so their negativity is reflected back onto them, whether its spoken negativity towards you, or their bad looks etc., its suposed to spiritually give them their negativity back 'cause I don't want any more! I shall start using a 'solar shield' technique too, you imagine a golden shield over your solar plexus, which is aimed at protecting you from other's negative energy. Another technique is to imagine your whole body surrounded by a white bubble of light, coming from under your feet and going over your head. That's aimed at adding protection to your aura.
I have a hypnosis cd for use by IBS sufferers, but I've not come across any that are designed for TMAU or other body odour sufferers. I had hynosis for IBS and part of that was getting me tell those people what I think of them when in trance - 'cause it was thought my colleagues complaints about smells were caused by my IBS.
I was encouraged to shout at them & get all my strangled up emotions out, whilst in the hypnotic state, then I was taught to make myself feel very strong and that they were'nt going to affect me. I was stronger than them.
We need to find something that helps us, not everyone has friends or family who really support and understand that they have an illness to contend with. When we have some time off, we need to try & enjoy it, and not
spend time calming ourselves down/papering over the cracks of the weeks upsets. So lets get feeling strong!
magsie

Re: Emotional Effects of TMAU

Postby smelly » Sun May 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Magsie,

I agree with what you are saying.

A technique i have found useful is to list the things I am grateful for in my life, :P as often as possible, preferably first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It maybe focuses my mind on whats important to me, rather than what I think other people want/dont want regarding me being near them. I had heard of this technique years ago and being the smug know-it-all that I am, I dismissed it as a bit hippy/happy clappy and didnt try it. But like a lot of these things, you dont 'get it' until you actually try it. ;)
smelly

Postby magsie » Sun May 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Smelly,
That sounds like a good idea too. Helps to put some good thoughts into your mind before you go to sleep, or before your day starts-up. Anything that keeps us calm and thinking more positively helps us through our days.
magsie

Postby PoetFire » Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 am

Sounds like a sensible idea Magsie. I don't see why such practices should only be for film stars and sports stars. If a film star said "I don't do any bought positivity things', the other film stars would think they are crazy. They are doing it for greater highs, whereas we need it to fend off negativity. I was trying to think of what actually I would like a hypnosist to focus on, as well as general things such as relaxing, esteem etc. I think I would go for : trying to change my reaction to negative comments. I can't stop myself smelling, but hopefully could stop building my world around negative comments. There's lots of CDs/MP3s nowadays to choose from. Also you will find lots of brief hypnosis sessions/tips on youtube. I like Wendi Friesen. Paul McKenna sells books in the supermarkets with CDs, about £5 maybe. I haven't been to a hypnotist, but I would have low expectations of the local ones, under the presumption only the big names are the best ... but I may be very prejudicely wrong!

It would be great if someday we could have a TMAU retreat centre, where we could be pampered in the safety of no negativity.
PoetFire

Postby stinky17 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

i went 2 a hypnotheripist i paid £60 for ahour, at first i thought it had done some good but i still cant sleep properly when i no im going somewhere the next day n also the feeling of guilt n embarrasment n humliation when some 1 says or even detects that i smell so instead of wasting any more money im gonna go see a theropist what the doc has refered me 2.

how are you getting on???? :)
stinky17

Postby Lisa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Claire, try cognitive theraphy, got ri of my panic attacks years ago.x
Lisa

Postby stinky17 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

hopefully my councilers gonna ring me in the nat week or 2 to start :D
stinky17

Postby Lisa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Did your GP refer you, or have you done it independently? GP referral you wont have to pay :D
Lisa

Postby Lisa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Doh! Just read you have been reffered
Lisa

Postby stinky17 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:15 pm

:lol: yes ive already seen him once n e said i need cbt
stinky17

Next

Return to general tmau topics