WORKING

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

WORKING

Postby magsie » Sun May 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Everyone,
I know that so many of us have difficulty in our working lives because of our TMAU. Lots of people quit jobs or lose jobs because of this condition, or struggle everyday the gauntlet of stares/signals/'stage whispers'/general
distraction from our so called colleagues who just wish we would'nt exist!
Either we don't manage to have a career, and get passed over when promotions arise for others, or we don't manage to work at all because of the smells. Sorry that this is sounding like a negative post to read, but I think if we have a forum to discuss our problems it would help everyone...
There have been a few cases of industrial tribunals in court published in the newspapers. Not seen any regarding TMAU sufferers yet though. One woman was a highly paid solicitor & the other women in her offices took a dislike to her saying she smelled & making comments about her. She had nothing wrong with her in her case, but the stress of this did'nt help her & wore her down to have a breakdown. She'd bought up the bullying regime with her bosses but they did'nt believe her, & she lost the job when taking time off. She won her case in court & got a good pay out.
Another case was a guy working in a warehouse & the others complained about his smelly flatulence. He told the bosses it was a side effect of the tablets he took for depression & had the medications leaflet to prove it.
At the industrial tribunal court case he won his case too.
Ideally we could all be self-employed or find a job working from home where we don't have to be around other people's noses! Or go & work in a smelly environment to start with - dry cleaning shop/ fish ''n' chip shop/
etc.
As anyone any ideas about working problems. I'm having problem at the moment but when I bought up the topic & told 'em what I'd got & my efforts to minimise the effects of it, they claimed not to have noticed any smells.!
Yeah convenient is'nt it!.. then they make out they've problems with my work.......
magsie

Re: WORKING

Postby smelly » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi Magsie,/

I dont want you to give details of your workplace, but have you union representation there? Is it a large organization that would have a human resourses department, either locally or at a head office? You could conatct them privately so you have your point of view on record with someone neutral, in the event of any more official problems. I havent had any contact with unions myself, but I know in my workplace there have been people who have been not very good at their jobs and they are safe in their employment because the unions are so good at acting on their behalf, so I think if we have a medical problem they would definately be able to protect us. Maybe Im being a bit naive, i dont know...

If you think it might com edown to losing your job, or something extreme like that, I would try and make sure you have a diagnosis from a doctor stating an actual condition, rather than just a list of symptoms. I have been trying to push for an official diagnosis myself for that reason. You said you have sent off your sample to be tested and thats a really good idea. Sad to be so 'paranoid' I know, but we have to look out for ourselves. ;)
smelly

Postby magsie » Sun May 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Smelly
Thanks for your support. The last time my GP sent me to a gastroenterologist he had a letter of my medical notes from my GP and when I was there went through some of the medical history with me. He was acting doubtful about M.E. but I did have a definate diagnosis of that years ago. Then he mentioned Trimethyalminuria questioningly, looklng at me doubtfully. At the time I'd not heard of it, thought he meant my loss of periods, but that was secondary aminuria. Then I did try looking it up on the net but could'nt find anything, not knowing how to spell it at the time. So at some point during my many blood tests the FM03 must have shown up. Yet the doctor had'nt told me of the diagnosis! My mother had this problem I'm sure, 'cause my Dad would tell me not to take too much notice when she was angry & upset after coming home from work, and liable to take it out on me.
He once said that people at work said she was smelling, and that's why she would rant & rave about them....
When I get my urine test results back I hope to god they show up the condition, so I've something in black & white to actually prove this condition exists. Although I've suffered for 40 years I did not know what it was & when going to doctors they've not been able to smell it at the time, nor find anything wrong. So it was attributed to my IBS. Only a couple of months ago I realised it was TMAU 'cause not everyone actually smells like the rotten fish smell, and then came a relief & realisation that I really did have a recognised condition.
I went to an interview this weekend to work in a local cafe actually just washing up and cleaning up in the kitchen. Minimum wage but working in a smelly environment with all cooking going on. It would mean giving up my lifelong office work career path. But it would be an escape. A more pleasant escape would be to win the lottery, but no luck so far.
magsie

Postby Adrian » Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 am

magsie, don't give up your long career path just because you think you will go unnoticed in a cafe. Can you try being self employed or even working outdoors? I think to let this condition force you to take up a job that was beneath you would only depress you more. I worked in mcdonalds for about a year and I had the problem while I was there the only rest bite is in that situation other people will smell to. But I still had alot of passive comments.

I am going to university in october and I am not looking forward to being in a class room with a load of 18-19 year olds. Im 24. But I know I have to keep moving forward. I have exams this month then im going to go to my gp and see about getting a referral to dr. Lachmann.

Keep your head up chick don't let them beat you xx
Adrian

Postby wendycori » Sat May 15, 2010 4:04 am

Magsie,
I'm sorry, I got a little confused with the posts, but I think you're the one who said you could smell yourself? You also said you were trying the diet. I was wondering what all you were doing, i.e., diet, probiotics, B2, antibiotics? And also if you could tell if they were working, if the odor was less with the diet, etc.?
Thank you. Wendy
wendycori

Postby magsie » Sun May 16, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Wendy,
Well I'm still waiting for my results to come back from the lab, I paid to have my own urine test done for TMAU.
I don't have any antibiotics to take - my current doctor does'nt believe there's anything wrong 'cause we can't always know when we're going to smell, especially if like me I either smell at a low level all day, or more commonly I get huge bursts of smell coming out - as if I've let wind but I have not 'cause there's no sensation/chance to hold it in. I get really strong smells of rotten meaty smell/fecal smell/ or sweaty/cheesey. Less common will be fish/urine odours. If I'm constipated or have had the runs, despite showering before going to work & there's nothing on my clean clothes, I can smell like fecel/ or sick smell on me all day.
I have found that watching my diet has really helped cut down on the bad days, so now I can get through at least a few days at work without noticing any bad odours emitting from me. Stress certainly affects me, 'cause when I had to swop jobs & sit somewhere else & I was stressed out fathoming a new role my odour problems were apparant & people were making comments behind my back...... yet I had'nt stopped my strict diet regime.!
I have never tried the clorophyl or the mushroom extract tablets, I sometimes take chaarcoal tablets after dinner, if I can remember. I take a vitamin/iron pill daily, 'cause I m anaemic. With foods I tend to stick to the same things which can be boring. Breakfast is either cornflakes or toast with cup of tea - I do like coffee but that's best avoided 'cause of choline. Weekend breakfast I do allow myself to have muesli, or some wheat based cereal with dried fruits added. Then I have nothing all day apart from cups of tea, or cold drinks of squash. If I feel I'm flagging I'll have a hot chocolate drink. Last week I did buy some cereal bars & tried to eat one at work during my half hour break, but I did'nt really like it nor feel hungry for it. Just trying to increase energy/concentration levels. When I get home for 'dinner' I dare''nt really have what I would like to have.... 'cause it'll no doubt cause smell problems the next day at work. So I'm not having hot meals apart from Friday ~& Saturday nights. Friday night I tend to have a roast chicken/baked potato dinner but I've stopped having green veg too, I had some cabbage this weekend but it fills me with nasty gas which does'nt help. I ususally have same meal on Saturday night, followed by fruit or ice cream/rice pudding for dessert. Sunday night I usually end up having a sandwich due to work next day, and take charcoal tablets too.
So for months I've had no fish/eggs/coffee/red meats/cheese/ beans/green vegetables/salad vegetables/ I avoid bananas and ice cream is a treat for weekends only. I've been having plums/oranges/apples.
Its not much fun, I used to love scrambled eggs on toast, and I like cheese & love ice cream & chocolate too.
Weekday dinner has been a sandwich with a little chicken, or 2 slices of toast with some chicken, so at least that's warm. But I've been getting fed-up with the bread so think I'll have to experiment.
magsie

Postby smelly » Sun May 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Magsie,

I've just read your post about the gastro doc reading your GP notes and pointing out it mentioned TMAU...and the GP had never even mentioned it to you! Thats so shocking, and scarey, that your GP was thinking you had it but didnt bother investigating it or even confirm the odour you had presented with. However, it also confirms what I feel, namely that medical practitioners are taught not to confirm that there is an odour. I dont know whether its to avoid investigations for financial reasons (this was reason I was given when refused a test) or if its because they think they cant cure it so just dont want to go there....Anyway, as I read in your other post, you've had the test done without their help, and now you can look forward to the look on GPs face when you take the results to him/her! I wish I could be a fly on the wall :lol:
smelly

Postby magsie » Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi Smelly,
Yeah, the 'fly on the wall' thing would be good. But I only moved back to this area in late 2007, before that I was in London for over 20years, so I believe my blood test for FMO3 must have been done there, 'cause I had many visits to haematology clinic 'cause I'm anaemic due to bone marrow condition, and had 2 bone marrow biopsies too, so during all those blood tests I presume it showed up then.
magsie

Postby magsie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi,
Just thought I'd share the lastest on my problems at work. Although I've had to overhear them all complaining at one time or another about me & my body odours, when I got a diagnosis and bought the subject up at a meeting with my manager, the topic was denied and they claimed I don't ever smell bad & no-one had bee talking about me. Although I had a copy of my diagnosis to give her, she wasn't interested in talking about it. Yet she does frequently chastise me for not eating at all during the day or at lunchtime!
Anyway so they've tried picking on my work and making out this is wrong, thats wrong and always watching me & calling me to meetings to tell me Ive got to do this/that better. Which only puts extra stress upon me & makes me feel the lowest of the low and really demoralised, & feel like giving up.
Well I joined the union last year without their knowledge - its a big company.
So when they called me to attend a formal competancy meeting with my manager & HR, I contacted the union to try & get someone to attend the meeting with me. That angered the manager when she found out - but its my rights! The meeting was on Friday, & I only got to spend 10mins wth the union rep beforehand to put my side over - I'd emailed him beforehand.
He said the paperwork the company had sent him was extremely personal, showed I was being closely monitored and that it wasn't competancy, it read more like a Vendetta!..... In the meeting he met the manager for the first time & observed she was a very strong characater, a control freak & that she didn't even allow me to speak/have my say without putting me down - and in a formal meeting too.! So he advised me to keep my head down & try to get through to the end of the month when she's on maternity leave & hopefully I'll get on better with her stand-in.! I dont trust her nor her stand in who's being taught her ways..... but I'm applying for other jobs and just trying to get on with my work in the meantime.!
So the moral of this tale is..... if they can't sack us 'cause we smell, they'll try & put us down some other way. Join the union if you've got the option, 'cause the union man had'nt been to the offices before, didn't know me or the manager, but he saw straight through her!!! Thank God for the union!
magsie

Postby smelly » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Happy for you Magsie. Use the unions while we still have them! ;)
smelly

Return to general tmau topics