Poeple who cannot detect fish odour on themselves

general questions and discussions

Moderator: admin

Poeple who cannot detect fish odour on themselves

Postby ellie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:33 am

Hi,

I'm new to the site and have just been reading the threads. I'm just wondering how all the people on here who cannot smell the odour on themselves, found out the have this if they cannot smell it?

Ellie
ellie

Re: Poeple who cannot detect fish odour on themselves

Postby smelly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Because people tell you that you stink!

I’ve not read why some people cant smell this particular odour on themselves (or others). I know I have a really good sensitive sense of smell, more so than other people, but there is obvioously an odour sometimes, suddenly coming from my body that some people find unbearable, and I cannot smell a thing. Really, their reaction is like I have just punched them inthe face, they are so offended and shocked. I can smell other odours on myself and on other people, like sweat, passing wind, bad breath etc.

I can only make sense of it by thinking that the odour is coming constantly, at a lower level, through my nose so I am desensitized. The odd time I can get a very brief very strong odour which I presume is coming up through my nose at a stronger level that usual so it passes the desensitized threshold level, very briefly and can be detected. It will be literally a fraction of a second. It can be ammonia, faeces, eggy, sewage etc all smells people have complained to me about. Sometimes the shock of the thought of that smell being around me all the time makes me feel faint with shock/horror, but I’ve got to gather my nerve and just carry on with the day at work (usually surrounded by people...with noses....in rooms with little or no ventilation.... Jeeeze....).

I’ve actually considered that maybe the inability to smell the odour properly is a psychological self deception/survival instinct to get you through the day. It would be really interesting to do a survey and divide people into 2 camps, those who are trying to carry on with their lives as normal, jobs/social commitments etc and those who have just let it all go and abandoned their lives/responsibilities (maybe been lucky enough to have someone look after them financially, so they can keep some social distance), and see if their ability to smell themselves is more intact if they are not constantly surrounded by people.

I’ve also read a theory that there is just a phenomenon that some people cannot smell certain odours (very well), I think it was asparagus urine smell that was the example. When you eat asparagus, some people produce strong smell in urine afterwards, and some don’t. And some people can smell the smelly urine and some cant. Its just a genetic difference in the population?
smelly

Postby kittycat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am

When I was a kid at school, there was an old saying that 'you can't smell your own' usually directed at unwashed waifs, neglected by their people, and smelling of wee. I also read that our sense of smell is heightened during the night for survival purposes. I have sniffed my palms and found that I can smell fish, which I can't detect in the morning. I've always felt it was genetic as my close family all thought I was bonkers, not helped by people who'd made nasty comments to me even denying there was a problem, when asked by my mum. This is further confused by sheep-like people who can't smell it, but join in with the bullying anyway. All adding to the feeling of isolation.
I'm in a posting mood, but can other members post over me as, if I'm all over the main board, I feel more like tom-cat than...kittycat :oops:
kittycat

Postby smelly » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:04 pm

kittycat

ditto everything you've just said. Im starting to think Ive got multiple personality disorder and Im posting under different names :D
smelly

Return to general tmau topics