To Poetfire,

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

To Poetfire,

Postby LJNLindsay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi,

I meant to ask you: in a reply to my test results thread you said:

also since your TMA + TMAO total is around 136, it says to me you have quite a lot of the gut bacteria that produce TMA

What does this mean? I only ask because ever since I've been diagnosed, my tummy seems to constantly rumble & gurgle almost as it would do if you had an upset stomach. Plus my wind has been extra smelly & vile (sorry if it's TMI). I just though that there were no physical symptoms with tmau?

I'm list...

Linds x
"When No One Else Cares; My Dogs' Still Love Me"
LJNLindsay

Re: To Poetfire,

Postby PoetFire » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Linds

Keep in mind this is just my interpretation of their reference range for the test and may not be accurate

IIRC, Sheffield have a 'top' reference range for TMAO of around 150 or something (I don't have the reference range at hand)

Bacteria in the gut produce the TMA, and then FMO3 oxidizes TMA to TMAO

If you have a high level of TMAO + TMA, then I am guessing it suggests the person has a lot of the microbes producing the TMA. This is just my interpretation. I think a lot of people can be genetic TMA and secondary TMAU ( which to me seems to usually be indicative of bacterial overgrowth of the TMA producing bacteria (?) )

I don't know why your tummy is rumbling but many of us often feel that 'gut dysbiosis' or IBS type symptoms can be common in 'TMAU' people and could be part of the 'syndrome'

Are you on the low choline diet now ? Maybe there is some 'die-off' or some other issue.

Personally I think if someone has an issue with their FMO3 enzyme there may be other possible 'minor health' problems such as low tolerance of certain drugs, perhaps mild chronic fatigue problems, perhaps 'IBS' symptoms or other vague symptoms. Because FMO3 oxidizes many sulfides and amines in the body. The theory is that most of them can be oxidized by other enzymes (apart from TMA) but for instance like a car if you have one cylinder not working at 100% efficiently the car might not be as good as a 'normal' car. FMO3 research papers mention that low tolerance of certain drugs may be possible.

This is all just my opinion.
PoetFire

Postby LJNLindsay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi PoetFire,

And thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Still can't quite get my head round it all. For years I believed I had some odour problem & now it has been confirmed I just can't believe it. Denial I guess.

It all seems a bit of a mine field to me. Argh.

Thanks once again for your input. It's muchly appreciated :-D

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Postby LJNLindsay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 pm

PS: I'm still waiting for the referal to come through for the dietician and, until then, I'm reluctant to try the diet on my own. I have cut out coffee though (3 weeks now) and feeling better for it.

Dreading the low choline diet & the prospect of trying to find things to eat, sigh.

I just can't get out of this deep depression since diagnosis. Not helped by two women mentioning a *disguising* smell when I was in the doctors waiting room a few days ago. These situations always, always play on my mind...

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Postby PoetFire » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 am

Last year in a research paper TMAO was suggested as a good biomarker of cardiovascular disease. I'm not too sure about the hypothesis myself but on the bright side it will likely lead to a lot of interest into research into how to block trimethylamine formation in the gut.

For those who feel trimethylamine fully explains their metabolic malodour, it could be in the near future a 'golden period' of research and therapies. Probably even now but we are not aware of.

I am wary of the low-choline diet approach myself, as I think ironically choline is meant to be 'very good' for the liver. Sort of acts as a hepatic decongestant or something.

This is just my opinion
PoetFire

Postby sara736 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:57 am

Well Done, I bet you feel a lot better just for seeing him, give yourself a pat on the back!!!

http://www.vceexams.net/vce-suite.html
http://www.uji.es/
https://www.isc2.org/
http://www.ox.ac.uk/
sara736

Return to getting diagnosed