About to test

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

About to test

Postby PoetFire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 am

Hi guys. I'm about to test and want to make sure I understand the procedure properly. I will be loading up on choline foods but ...
Am I right in thinking :
I take a random sample ? (i.e. I don't collect urine for 24 hours etc)
I don't freeze the sample ? (I got the HCL with it)..
PoetFire

Re: About to test

Postby admin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:51 pm

hi poetfire,

see my post under the topic 'correct test' for details for how sheffield childrens hospital run their tests.

it can depend on who tests you, i have done a spot test before but for a first diagnosis i think it is more usual to collect for 24 hrs and decant a small amount of this for testing. the samples, afaik, don't need to be frozen as they should be collected in a container with a small amount of hydrochloric acid.

where are you getting tested - it's important to follow their instructions to the letter and if you are at all unsure i would contact them for advice. good luck - let us know how you get on.;
admin
Site Admin

Postby magsie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi,
I've just come across a UK place called Mulvern Laboratory, Bedford and they're doing a TMAU urine test for £191
Looks like you pay online and they send something in the post and you send it back to them for testing.
Wondered if anyone has tried this test yet? Found it advertised on body odour and halitosis website.

Thanks
magsie

Postby PoetFire » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 am

My results came back
TMA was mid-teens
TMA-O was early 70s

normal TMA is below 10.9, so I was slightly high for TMA. And TMA/TMAO ratio was slightly high too. I'm presuming that makes the result a 'mild' grey area between TMAU1 and TMAU2.
PoetFire

Postby PoetFire » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:45 am

magsie wrote:Hi,
I've just come across a UK place called Mulvern Laboratory, Bedford and they're doing a TMAU urine test for £191
Looks like you pay online and they send something in the post and you send it back to them for testing.
Wondered if anyone has tried this test yet? Found it advertised on body odour and halitosis website.

Thanks

I used Mullhaven. They actually send it to Nigel Manning in Sheffield, so its the same tester as the NHS. The only reason for using Mullhaven would be if you don't want to have to test via a Dr. The downside being you have to pay :) You could also do the test via a private Dr for around £140 but then you would add their fee too. Of course on the NHS it is free.

You order online but don't pay until you send back the test-kit (you add your payment details to the form). After P&P it's about £193
PoetFire

Return to getting diagnosed