help in interpreting TMA test results

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

help in interpreting TMA test results

Postby egglover » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:32 am

I finally managed to get my results off my doctor. It was like trying to extract blood from a stone.

Erm...now I've got them I'm not sure what they mean. Could anyone enlighten me?

TMA=36.6 (ref range 2.5 to 10.8)
TMA-n-Oxide=64.0 (ref range 17 to 147)
TMA/TMA-n-oxide-0.57
Urine creatininte = 5.2 mmol/L

My doctor says he "thinks" this means I have TMAU 1 but won't investigate further as it doesn't affect the (currently non existant) treatment plan.

If it is TMAU1 then I would like to get my son tested aswell. All the other parents in his class complain the school don't send home the gym kits for them to wash until the end of term. My son's comes back every week. Because I can't smell myself I guess it's possible my son has got an odour but I can't detect it. I will feel SO guilty if he has it. Poor kid has enough on his plate already
egglover

Re: help in interpreting TMA test results

Postby PoetFire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Egglover.

You do look like you are entitled to be given the DNA test.

This result it does suggest TMAU1. With Nigel's test, a person should oxidize over 4/5 of the TMA, whereas you only oxidized about 2/3
Personally I think normal people should oxidize over 9/10 of TMA, probably even higher, but the Sheffield test is set at around 4/5

Also the TMA level is 3 times over Nigel's TMA ref range (should be under 10.8)

Personally I would also get a few tmau urine tests done to see if the numbers vary. I have seen one person was 50% for one tmau test then +90% for another. Dr Lachmann lets people urine test 3 times.

But definitely the DNA test you are entitled to.
PoetFire

Postby minnie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi,

I got my test results today and I have no idea what they mean.

It says TMA 35.1 umol/mmol
TMA/TMA-N-oxide 0.48

All it says in the letter is that I am highly likely to have trimethylaminuria.

I'm so confused :?

Does anybody know what it means or how severe I have it?

Thank you :)
minnie

Postby PoetFire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Minnie

Sheffield reckon the ratio should be <0.21, so you seem a bit over that. This would seem to suggest TMAU1

If you tested via Dr Lachmann I would ask for another test to see if it varies. I think he lets people test 3 times

You would definitely be entitled to the DNA test in my opinion.
PoetFire

Postby atlantis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi can someone help an let me know what my results mean, finally got them this morning an not sure if i am type 1 or 2 . It didnt start till my early twenties so am assuming its type 2 ,would like to b sure as i have a child
trimethylamine[tma]=33.3
TMA-n-oxide =110.6
TMA/TMA-n-oxide =0.30
urine creatine =14.9

Really appreciate any help with this thankyou .
atlantis

Postby PoetFire » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi okeeffechambers

Sheffield reckon a normal person should have a ration <0.21

You are at 0.3 so I guess from this result it is suggesting type 1. My suggestion is to get a DNA test done and also see if you can do another urine test to see if the result varies.
PoetFire

Postby atlantis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks poetfire not what I wanted to hear but at least I know what to push for at my next app . This condition is so strange I thought type1 started from an early age .....
atlantis

Postby PoetFire » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm

No problem

TMAU or metabolic malodours is such an unresearched area that a lot of the data does not seem to easily fit into categories. I saw someone's results who were 0.5 and then 0.05, so I wouldn't go on one result alone.

If you got to early 20s without an odour problem then you would think there must be a good chance you can go back to that condition.

Good luck
PoetFire

Postby shaaneson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 am

Personally I would also get a few tmau urine tests done to see if the numbers vary. I have seen one person was 50% for one tmau test then +90% for another. Dr Lachmann lets people urine test 3 times.
Last edited by shaaneson on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
shaaneson

Postby PoetFire » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes I agree. My first test implied TMAU1 then 2 other tests implied TMAU2. Personally I think I am somewhere in between. I would test a few times more if it wasn't so expensive :lol: Mainly to see if the trend showed me to fit into either TMAU1 or TMAU2 category more definitely. I think also other factors may affect function such as hormones. So far we know menstruation is supposed to inhibit it but maybe opther hormones or factors do too.

Once you feel you definitely fit one diagnosis (TMAU1 or TMAU2 or neither) then you could say there's no more reason to test except to check how the protocol is affecting it. Although personally I think the test is also prone to 'false negatives' for some reason.

I would certainly try and take up the 3 test option that Dr Lachmann kindly offers.

Unfortunately you seem to need to have a TMAU1 result to get a Dr to sanction the DNA test in the UK via the NHS, which I think is a pity.
PoetFire

Return to getting diagnosed