TMAU test for transient symptoms?

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

TMAU test for transient symptoms?

Postby Rosie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Hello everyone,

If anyone here suffers with transient odour symptoms - with an odour that occurs under stress - and has tested positive for TMAU, please could you offer me some advice? I'm having my test this week, so will be eating high choline foods for a couple of days in advance. I've been told to try and collect a urine sample 'when the odour is present' - which sounds fairly straight forward, but in practice, isn't! Does it really make a difference to the results of the test?

Many thanks
Rosie
Rosie

Re: TMAU test for transient symptoms?

Postby Rosie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm answering my own post (heh!) but thought I'd share this in case it helps someone else...

Anyway, I spoke to one of the dietitians at UCLH and she advised to eat choline rich foods on the day before taking the urine sample. If the results of the TMAU test indicate everything is normal, I could still opt to take another test under different conditions (when the odour is present). Maybe I don't have TMAU, but if sometimes smelling like garlic or marijuana is normal, then it's a strange world indeed...btw, if anyone else gets those particular frangrances and can pin them down to a particular food, please tell me and I'll stop eating whatever it is right away!
Rosie

Postby bubbles » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Rosie I am taking it that you are female and therefore you may notice like alot of female sufferers do that the odour is most noticeable in the few days before your period is due to start and so this could be an ideal time for you to get tested, also eat things like red meat, 2 eggs, baked beans, dairy (ice cream, large glasses of milk, chocolate beforehand although I did see somewhere not fish but I am not 100 per cent on this so you may need to check it out as it can affect results. You are giving quite a big container and collect your urine over a long period, I couldnt say for certain that my odour was present or strong that day but I did test positive for Tmau so hope that helps you out a little. Bubbles. X
bubbles

Postby Rosie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks, Bubbles. Interesting that we had different advice concerning the test - the sample bottle I rec'd is standard size and I've been instructed to just take one sample in the morning, rather than collecing over an extended period. Hmm. Anyway, shall definitely take your advice about the ice cream! ;) Rosie x
Rosie

Postby bubbles » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey Rosie, yep I was given quite a large container I think my doctor put something in it to stabilize the urine, he followed the directions given to me by Nigel Manning anyway, I collected urine over the course of the day, I had eaten choline rich foods the day before and continued that day as well, my normal diet really (excluding fish though) and then shook up my bottle/ container and poured into 2 standard like test tube containers and sent by recorded and next day delivery in a bubble wrap envelope and I wrote fragile across the top of the envelope as well. If you want I can look through my email account and see if I still have my email relating to the collection of my urine. Bubbles. X
bubbles

Postby PoetFire » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Rosie. Personally I would prefer to take trimethylamine as the load, to test out how well my FMO3 enzyme handles it. for obvious reasons trimethylamine is not readily available as a food supplement :)

The very limited advice we are getting from mainstream medicine is to use choline so that bacteria will alter it to TMA. Personally if I was to use choline, I would buy the supplement and take a lot the previous couple of days. For Denver USA test I think they suggest a 5g load, which is a lot. I think in the UK the tester is trying to mimic a 'bad day via diet' but in my own opinion while TMA is an excellent biomarker of FMO3 function I am not sure it is a 'big player' in the range of smelly compounds people with FMO3 issues have (unless you smell of fish).

Another thing about UK testing is that in my opinion the ratio for nromal is set too high at around 0.21. Personally I regard people from 0.1 above to be in the 'genetic zone' to a degree. Possibly I would even set the normal even lower at 0.05. The enzyme in my opinion needs to always really be working at around 100% to avoid smells.
PoetFire

Return to getting diagnosed