Can patients ask to be referred?

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Can patients ask to be referred?

Postby Rosie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 am

Hello there,

I’m on the verge of being tested for TMAU and just want to check my options before going ahead. If anyone could offer advice I’d be very grateful.

I don't know the doctors at my surgery, but I've had a phone chat with one of them (the surgery is so busy it takes ages to get an appointment in person). He didn't know about TMAU but tried to help and has spoken to the local hospital, and they can arrange to have the urine test done there. However, I'm a little bit confused about the exact testing procedure, and would really like to be referred to see Dr Lachmann first (I live in London) as I also have a lot of questions and am concerned that if my test comes back negative I'll never have the opportunity to ask them. This condition – whatever it is – has been blighting my life for about ten years. Furthermore, I’d like to be absolutely certain that the test will be handled correctly so I can rule TMAU out, or investigate whether my child needs to be tested too. So my question is, should I just trust the hospital to run the test, or do I have the right to ask to be referred to Dr Lachmann? Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but don't want to look back and regret anything later.

Many thanks for any help.
Rosie
Rosie

Re: Can patients ask to be referred?

Postby Lisa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Rosie,
I think the testing for TMAU is only done by Dr. Manning in Sheffield, or Dr. Lachmann in London, as you say, you want to be tested correctly, especially if you're paying for it.
If you Google the names e-mail addy and tel no. should be there, knowing what I know now, I'd bypass the GP, and get in direct contact with one of the above.
Good luck. x
Lisa

Postby Rosie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for taking the time to post, that's kind of you. Do I take it you had a bad experience with a GP? It seems like this might be my only opportunity to speak to a professional who knows about this condition, so think I will ask to see Dr Lachmann if possible. My feeling is that the GP only wants to refer me if the hospital test is positive, so that's why I wasn't sure if I could ask to see Dr. L. But when you've been living with this for a long time, the possbility of speaking to someone who might actually understand your symptoms is something of a minor miracle!
Thanks again.
Rosie
Rosie

Postby malory » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:47 am

If you live in London I would suggest your GP refers you to Dr Lachmann at the metabolic unit in Queen Square and you will then be sent an appointment and testing kit can take the urine sample with you on the day of the appointment (which w ill be sent to Nigel Manning as Lisa says). Very good to hear your GP has been supportive.
malory

Postby smelly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I have a question that is kind of about this........

can I ask anyone who has actually seen Dr Lachman - does he actually tell you anything that ISNT wriiten in the scientific papers or on this forum ie diet, antibiotics, charcoal, copper chlorophyllin, low pH body wash, might be worse around period and menopause?

I can understand completely that people who are new to the TMAU condition want to see the leading expert on the condition, its only logical. But for anyone who thinks they might have it and for whatever reason doesnt manage the test, or for like a lot of us, doesnt get to see him and is refered to someone local who doesnt see as many patients with it so maybe doesnt have as much 'experience' of the condition - are we missing out on anything?

There was a survey sent out by dietitions a few months ago, asking patients for feedback on how these 'treatments' were working for them. I got the feeling it was designed to collate all the best practice and advicefrom across the board and reedistribute the knowledge so everyone was getting the same help and advice no matter where they were 'referred to'. Has anyone heard anything back about that?
smelly

Postby Lisa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 pm

In answer to your Q Smelly, no, he didnt tell me anything I didnt already know, infact, I would say I've found out more on sites like these.
So no, you haven't missed out.
Lisa

Postby smelly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks Lisa. I suspected that all the regional doctors have been 'briefed' by Dr`Lachman or at least read the same literature as him so everyone was getting the same advice but its worth checking on these things ;)
smelly

Postby PoetFire » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 pm

I would guess they all generally follow the interpretation advice given in the test results by Sheffield Hospital. I would expect most consultants look no further than that.
PoetFire

Return to getting diagnosed