Testing result

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Testing result

Postby Monkeyman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:09 pm

I have been tested four times and racy time with a different results two normal two abnormal,are we all in danger accepting that we have TMAU when it could be something else,body odour ajnd bad breath could a blot. Of things.The point I am making is my diet hardly changes yet my test result changes every time I am tested.

Thanks.
Monkeyman

Re: Testing result

Postby Adrian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:23 pm

How have you managed to get tested four times? I find it hard to convince my GP to test me at all.
Adrian

Postby Monkeyman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:38 pm

The hardest part is getting the first test after that they will Monitor you.
Monkeyman

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:40 pm

I had to pay for my test!
I had another test with my appointment with Dr. Lachman, I doubt weather they will test me again.
Cant believe you've had 4.
Lisa

Postby Adrian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Lisa, How did you go about getting an appointment with dr Lachmann?
Adrian

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Hello,
I was waiting for my test results so I phoned him, he then said he will write to my GP for a referral.
There is a long waiting list tho, I'm not sure, but I think someone on here said they were only testing children now?
Just hearsay tho, not 100%
Lisa

Postby kittycat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Mm.....Most people have conflicting test results..My second (NHS) one showed higher TMA on my low choline diet, than the first one (I paid for) which was after a choline load......I think it's the ebb and flo in our systems making it hard to test....A bit like when I asked to be hormone tested years ago, the gyne said I'd have to have a test taken every day for a year, and it still wouldn't be clear what was wrong with me....
kittycat

Postby PoetFire » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 pm

imho it's best to get urine tested quite a few times until you feel there is a definite pattern to your results (e.g. the ratio is always around the same range). I think it's a mistake to go by one result alone. Also I think everyone should do the FMO3 DNA test (full sequence), but obviously the problem is getting access to the test. The DNA test at least only needs to be done once.

I have seen urine results where the ratio seems to jump around or even contradict the previous 'TMAU1' result. If you are 'genetic TMAU' it shouldn't in theory be very realistic to later get a normal ratio from a heavy load of TMA. I think you need to do the urine test a few times to see if any pattern emerges.

Unfortunately both the tests are expensive currently (or need a Dr to approve them), so it's not very practical to test a few times.

Ideally I think we should have a medical device we could use at home to monitor our TMA levels at least, such as a urine strip test paper or enose sensor. Probably both are easy to produce but no manufacturers will be interested for now.
PoetFire

Postby smelly » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow, tested four times? Most people are having to pay for the test themselves and couldnt stretch to that kind of on-going testing. Nice if you can get it though.

Are you in the UK monkeyman or usa with health insurance? If you are male, I dont know if hormonal changes could be to blame for differing results (which would probably be the answer for a female.) Do you take supplements or drugs on a non daily basis, because that might be a factor. Some drugs like nicotine and I think painkillers? are known to be handled by body same way as the foods we have a problem with. And of course some supplements have choline in which would explain a high result.
smelly

Return to getting diagnosed