Advice for my 12 year old son

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Advice for my 12 year old son

Postby amy.g » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi I was watching This Morning and i really think my son may have this. Over the last 3 years we have been back and forth between dentist and doctor but dentist just says how good my sons teeth are and doctors checks this throat and say no problem must be he is not cleaning his teeth / tongue properly. He is though I watch him and he cleans both his teeth and tongue. Over the last year he has started to get bad body odour i have never smelt anything like it - he is at the age where he would start to get body odour however its smells so awful when we are in the car together i have to have my window down and even after I have washed his clothes the smells still linger he is extremly clean and showers at least once a day and i try not to make an issue of it as dont want him to feel bad. Any advice would be great.
amy.g

Re: Advice for my 12 year old son

Postby Lisa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello Amy, first port of call is to go back to your GP, and INSIST your son be tested for TMAU, look on getting diagnosed thread for more info. Dont be fobbed off, we've all been thru that.
Get as much info as you can printed off, and take it with you, knowledge is power.
Your son might not have TMAU, it could be that he's just going thru puberty etc, or, could be something he'll grow out of, but like I say, go back to your doctors.
Let us know how you get on.
Lisa.x
P.S. While your there, get the doc to go on this website, thats what I did with mine. Bout time they did some homework on this disorder, another GP in "the know" is good.
Lotsa luck.x :)
Lisa

Postby bigvern » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

As Lisa suggested I would print off the info from the website, especially the FAQs from Dr Lachmann - info from another Dr always, is in my experinece, treated more seriously by the examining Dr.
It is difficult for many, but you need to be assertive with your GP if you think your son has TMAU, many on here have had difficulty getting diagnosed by their GP.
Here is the basic facts page;
http://www.tmau.org.uk/index.php?option ... &Itemid=62

Take a while and have a read of the stuff on the website before you make the appointment - as Lisa says knowledge is power, good luck :D
bigvern

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am

There are probiotic (or was it prebiotics? It was in that area of the shop anyway) sachets that claim to cure bad breath, which I have seen in my local health food shop but they are VERY expensive, and I'm not sure if it's the FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides, a natural prebiotic) in them or other ingredients as well that's meant to work. There is only 7-8 sachets in each box also. Because you're son is only 12 I think I might find out what the ingredients are and then go and ask my doctor if they could work. If it's the FOS that's the active ingredient it'd be cheaper to just buy a jar of that.
Jan

Return to getting diagnosed