Do I have TMAU

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Do I have TMAU

Postby mitchellpanda » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 am

Hi,

I am a 21 year old male and have suffered with a smell problem since I was about 13.
Here are the symptoms:
Every now and again throughout the day, and particularly in social situations I get short but very strong wafts of either the smell of garbage, an eggy fecal sort of smell or a smell similar to that of catfood.
My skin does not smell at all and I have never left any sort of unpleasant smell on my clothes or anything like that. It is literally just wafts that come and go.
Also, I seem to go through periods of this of about a month at a time. For example, I have just ended a nine month period where I haven't had the symptoms at all, but now they are back. :| It seems to come back during periods of stress.
People can definitely smell it as I have been asked on multiple occasions if I have broken wind when I haven't.
My doctor does not know what is wrong with me and just tells me to go on a gas elimination diet, which doesn't explain why I am making the smell of flatulence, without actually breaking wind.
I am physically very healthy and my diet is very good.
Do you think that this is TMAU? I don't know what else to do...
The only thing that makes me think it might not be TMAU is that it isn't a constant smell, and the smell comes very suddenly then disappears, and also because my skin doesn't smell.

Please please please help me! This is slowly destroying my life.

Thank you,
mitchellpanda

Re: Do I have TMAU

Postby bigvern » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:22 am

Hello mate - welcome to the forums,

It could be TMAU - the smell does not have to be constant for it to be TMAU and many people report smells similar or the same to yours. Many factors including food and stress can affect the way the smell comes and goes.
You need to get tested. Make an appointment with your gp and take with you the FAQs and other relevant stuff from this website for your GP to read as nearly all have never heard of TMAU. Keep your chin up fella.
bigvern

Postby mitchellpanda » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for the reply! Yea, I'll go see a doctor. Do I have to specify a doctor of TMAU to be referred to? What is the process of being diagnosed?
mitchellpanda

Postby bigvern » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:15 pm

I think he will need to refer you to DR lachmann - see below for details
http://www.tmau.org.uk/index.php?option ... &Itemid=41

Dr L will certainly be able to advise your gp on what to do next.
bigvern

Return to getting diagnosed