2 TMAU1 volunteers for TMAU testing

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

2 TMAU1 volunteers for TMAU testing

Postby PoetFire » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 am

I've been in touch with a diagnostic lab on a university campus that is interested in adding TMAU to it's list of clinical diagnosis tests. They would be using NMR technology, which is the expensive new type of machines.

They are looking for 2 people who have TMAU1 urine sample diagnosis to try the machine out for free. They would like the samples as fresh as possible. The lab is based on a Uni campus just south of London. If anyone is interested in providing the samples, you can 'Private Message' me about it. I think they would either like a sample to be produced at the lab (using their toilet) or you collect the container and return it next day ? Some arrangement like that.

They want the person to try and provoke the symptom (eg diet)
Last edited by PoetFire on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoetFire

Re: 2 TMAU1 volunteers for TMAU testing

Postby PoetFire » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Update : I spoke to the lab again and they say the 2 volunteers can test the usual way by post if they wish. So anyone already with a TMAU1 urine result can apply. They will send out the test kit for free and return posting is free too.

If you PM me, I will tell you how to contact them directly (no need to give me your personal details). They say you can be anonymous if you want (or use a false name ?). The kit will have hcl in it, same as Sheffield, so need to be careful. They are suggesting it be from one collection of urine.

This is to try the machine out, but then they will likely plan to add TMAU testing to their list of tests.
PoetFire

Postby flower » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi P,

I did a test in the Netherlands with NMR spectroscopy before and after loading :

The results from Nijmegen Holland were the following :

Dear Colleague,

Using NMR spectroscopy we investigated both urine samples of your patient date sample 16 feb 2010.
Trimethylamine was not increased in the pre-loading sample. Also dimethylglycine was normal excluding dimethylglycinuria as a cause
of the odour by this patient. After the fish meal the urine sample dit not contain abnormally high trimethylamine but trimethylamine N-oxide showed
only a very limited increase from 0.04 to 0.11. This means that either the loading on the urine collection was inappropriate.
Advise could be to either repeat the test (pay attention to eating 300 grams of fresh fish or directly investigate this diagnosis at the DNA level.
This is done by Prof . Zschocke in Austria.

Thank you for referring to Nijmegen.

The invoice will follow separately.

With kind regards,

I have payed 600 euros for this investigation without knowing if I had tmau or not ?

I think this investigation shows only when you have tmau 1

Just to give you the information.
Flower
flower

Postby PoetFire » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Flower

Yes that is the same machine this other lab will be using. NMR. They are very expensive and normally only in places like government institutions such as universities. It's just another way of testing samples but using a different technique than the less expensive machines. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance.

You can tell if its TMAU1 or TMAU2 from the TMA and TMA-oxide levels. The machine churns out the numbers, then it's up to each lab to interpret them as TMAU1 or 2 or neither.

This lab says he will charge far less than 300 euros.

By the way, the 2 volunteers will get their results but since they are trying out TMAU testing for the first time they can't guarantee results, in case it doesn't go to plan (hence why it's free). I'm guessing it's striaghtforward though.
PoetFire

Postby admin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks for this PoetFire - If you need to I can send out a mass email to get Volunteers (Though I suspect this will not be the case :D )
admin
Site Admin

Postby PoetFire » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks admin. Much appreciated. No takers yet :D I will give it a few more days to see what happens. Anyone from UK or even West Europe can volunteer if they want. primary TMAU cases (urine. It's ok if they went on to not be confirmed by DNA test).
PoetFire

Postby SmellyKelly2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Poetfire
I would be happy to test if you do not get others come forward.
I am TMAU1 and it is severe, so even if on the diet and protocol etc my results have still been 0.25.
Let me know.
SK
SmellyKelly2

Postby PoetFire » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Kelly. You are welcome to test. I will send you a private message
PoetFire

Postby PoetFire » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

I got 2 volunteers thanks
PoetFire

Return to getting diagnosed