Sod's Law

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Sod's Law

Postby Lisa » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:46 am

Why is it, when you want to smell, (not that you ever do), but, ie: when you go to the doctors to try n get diagnosed, you dont smell at all, the GP says, I cant smell anything! Then when you dont want to smell, you do? Why can some people smell it, and others cant? Strange. :? Do you tell people what is wrong when they pass comment/ give you strange looks, or do you just tell your nearest n dearest? I have told the people closest to me, but I'm wondering if I should say somethingto my hairdresser who comes once a month, I always leave the door/window open when she comes, but last time it was freezing, I said, would you like me to shut the door, she said, no, it's nice to get some fresh air! Gulp. :shock:
Lisa

Re: Sod's Law

Postby SmellyKelly2 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Its funny because I was convinced that my hairdresser (who comes to my home) could smell me, as she would always stand in the furthest corner of the kitchen after doing my hair and before starting to do my mum's hair.
But she always said that she was just trying to keep out the way when I made the drinks (I did not believe this although it is a small kitchen).
I would always have the back patio doors open like you.
However, when I told her all about my illness in August, she promised me that she cannot smell anything (I now believe her). So she may not smell you at all, but my neighbours certainly used to smell me!
I have known my hairdresser for over 10 years, so I felt ok about telling her.
SK
SmellyKelly2

Postby smelly » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Lisa

In our culture it is considered rude to be honest.When I was trying to get diagnosed I would sit in the waiting room to see the GP and as I walked to the consulting room the receptionist would be unloading a can of air freshener into the room behind me. I would sit in a tiny room with the GP who swore blind there was no smell and no need for investigation. One time there was a trainee doctor sitting in on the consultation who was going puce trying not to take a breath and her face was turned 180 degrees away from me, which in most societies would be considered a bit rude, yet still the GP wasnt going to admit anything was wrong.

But also I think part of it is that we actually all smell something slightly different, then we apply an emotion to that smell, and then we subconsciously apply a value to it depending on what we think of the source. So if the doctor smells weird body smells all day, knows you are uncontrollably breathing and sweating it out, associates it with his job and is professional enough not to blame you for being ill, he will come to the end point of ‘this smell isn’t that big a deal.’ If a co-worker is sensitive to that smell, associates it with poor hygiene or flatulence, and thinks that person is disrespecting them by deliberately producing an odour, they come to the conclusion ‘Im going to make that persons life hell, just like they are to me.’

I read a study on odour perception where they exposed volunteers to exactly the same smell under very controlled conditions where all they could smell was this chemical odour. When asked to rate the smell as nice, neutral or bad, they were equally divided between the 3 answers. So 30 people are gagging, another 30 keep sniffing, and 30 dont care either way....Then it gets even stranger, because when they ask the different groups what they think the smell is, the ones who like the smell all say things that smell very different, the same for the other two groups. So we really are smelling completely different things. I think it was Lisa who said that most people cant smell anything until someone makes a big fuss about it then suddenly everyone can, and I couldn’t agree more. Most people are very suggestible and wouldn’t have a strong opinion on it until someone tells them to. And its very convenient to have someone to blame for every odour in a space. There are supposed to be 1 in 5 of the population that have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the main symptom of that is flatulence. So there are a lot of people producing a lot of odours and its definitely not just us!
smelly

Postby kittycat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:54 am

Hairdressing must be a funny old job, I certainly told mine things I wouldn't tell my sister. ;) Never mentioned the smell problem tho', despite the howling wind!
The worst place I ever worked was a doctor's surgery, I was vaguely hoping for help or even a diagnosis, but all I got was nastiness from the docs and nurses. One med student even 'whispered' TMA and sniggered to a colleague but I didn't know what it meant until years later. If only she'd been more upfront with me she might have saved me years of torment. Also think Dr C gave the impression the condition was easily treated, which judging by this forum it is not. Love Kx
kittycat

Postby Lisa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:02 pm

OMG Kittycat, that is disgusting, you'd of thought one of the GP's would of mentioned something to help you. Unbelievable! :o
Lisa

Postby kittycat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:47 am

To be honest Lisa, the GP's were probably not up to date, and the student thought it wasn't her place to speak up. On another subject, I was reading some of the older posts and saw some of yours. Very funny :lol: You mentioned a son and I wondered how that worked. Whenever I felt broody I couldn't contemplate all those body fluids when the waters broke! Had a mental image if me being hosed down by maintenance men in the car park while the other mums has their brows mopped. :cry: Tell me to MYOB if you like. I'm finding this posting better than the therapy my kin always thought I needed :D Love Kx
kittycat

Postby Lisa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Kittycat. Dont quite understand your post, blonde day today.
Lisa

Postby kittycat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Sorry Lisa, I get a bit flippant sometimes. You seem more depressed than blonde, could it be your hormones making things worse? Perhaps your doc could help there. Or perhaps you should change your doc. At least if it is hormones the (thinking through cotton wool) feeling will pass..... Hugs Kx..... I promise to shut up now, everyone. :oops:
kittycat

Postby Lisa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 pm

LOL, S'ok Kittycat, bit depressed today. Have changed my GP, he is worse than the other one. Grrr. Didnt understand the bit about my son, what were you referring to? Dont know if it's my hormones?
Lisa

Postby Lisa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Kelly, havent known my hairdresser that long, (a year), we get on great and talk about most stuff, but, I dont want to embarass her or me, but I think I should tell her, just incase she thinks I stink, (if I do), and I'm not clean. Just not sure how to broach the subject. :oops:
Lisa

Next

Return to getting diagnosed