Your thoughts on first test results

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Your thoughts on first test results

Postby swm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi,
I have recently received my first set of test results.
TMA 8.7
TMAO 517.9
Ratio 0.02

I'm a bit confused as I thought they would have been considered normal (considering the TMA and Ratio). The notes that were with the test results mentioned the TMAO being high possibly due to TMAU2. It then says in the notes "Did the patient do a choline load?". I did do a choline load.

My GP (understandably) is unable to provide any further advice himself so I have asked if he could follow it up. What are your thoughts on what these results mean? Is there anyone / any place you could recommend I contact for further advice on the results? Has anyone contacted Sheffield directly about their results?

Thanks,
SWM
swm

Re: Your thoughts on first test results

Postby PoetFire » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi

Your result is odd. The TMAO level is so high.
I think 'normal' is usually 100 or less

Your TMA is within their 'normal' range.

I guess they feel your FMO3 is ok and that your'e most likley prone to TMAU2 (TMA overload)

Personally I don't really go by 1 result but that's all they tend to offer
TMAU urine test could probably be done for maybe £50 by any regional lab but atm only Sheffield do the test in UK

You could email the Sheffield lab who did the test for an interp.
I am guessing they may say they will only communicate with your Dr tho.

Joanne Croft at Sheffield Children's Hospital
Their emails used to be easy to find but looks like they try to hide them now
If this form workj, you could try that : http://www.sheffieldlab.org.uk/site/home/contactus.asp

And/or you could try being referred to a 'Metabolic Unit'.
A few now 'accept' TMAU
Dr Lachmann in London. There's one in Brum, Manc, and a few other places
But you may know more about it than them.
PoetFire

Postby swm » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi, thanks PoetFire for your response - I'll try and get hold of a printed copy of the test results and interpretation and then try and contact Sheffield for further info. Not sure GP will allow another test unless Sheffield suggest it.
swm

Postby PoetFire » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 am

You could probably try contacting Sheffield with the info you gave in the first post.
But I think they will say 'we will only discuss it with your GP'.
PoetFire

Postby swm » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks for your advice PoetFire.
My GP wrote a letter to Sheffield and had a call back to give him further info. As a result he's prescribed a two week course of antibiotics and told me to follow it up with six weeks of probiotics (recommended going to boots or h&b for these). I got a copy of the test results that were originally sent and in the notes that accompany the figures it says the excess TMA-O possibly results from TMAU2. I've asked for a referral to a nutritionist as I'm reluctant to significantly change my diet without expert advice. In the meantime I will cut out seafood and others that are very high choline as the referral could take some time. I guess the riboflavin can't do any harm.
swm

Return to getting diagnosed