Second Test.

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Second Test.

Postby Donald » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:55 am

Hi, Folks,

I have just received the result of my second test. It shows TMA at 21 and TMA-n-Oxide at 300. This must give a ratio of about 0.15. The TMA figure is down from 31 and the TMA-n-Oxide is away up from something like 178. I am not sure if this is an overall improvement or not. The ratio seems to be within the bounds of normality, but I don't know if I am.

Anyone fancy interpreting the figures for me? What does the TMA-n-Oxide mean?

I am not too aware of the smell these days, but my wife assures me that it is still there. My nose is a bit bunged up, so that is probably why it passes me by. Also, does the supposed improvement have anything to do with the colder weather? Can we expect full smell to be resumed when summer arrives?

Hope you are continuing to annoy the people you don't like.

Best wishes.

Donald
Donald

Re: Second Test.

Postby PoetFire » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Donald. My interpretation of your results is that it seems very likely you are a secondary TMAU case, which means it's a gut infection causing the smell. According to the UK test, if you are above 10.5 TMA then you are likely to smell. You have been up at 31 and now 21, so you are still quite far over the 'smell hurdle'.

TMA-oxide is a marker of your FMO3 function. TMA-oxide is the odourless chemical that the FMO3 enzyme changes TMA to. FMO3 adds an oxygen molecule to the TMA. In your case, your enzyme was presented with a very big TMA load and managed to oxidize a big % of it, but you were still left over 21 TMA. So it looks like you have (presumably) such a big gut infection that you are producing large amounts of TMA. Your enzyme seems to be able to handle big loads of TMA, so it looks like you have a normal FMO3 function. Ironically, you had a bigger load of TMA to deal with in your 2nd test than you did in the 1st. But your enzyme oxidized more of it this time. In the end, if you are over 10.5 TMA you are expected to have smell problems.

That's my reading. I could be wrong. I'm sure if you contact Nigel Manning at Sheffield he will answer your questions.
PoetFire

Postby Donald » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 am

Hi, Poetfire,

Many thanks for this. It has been very helpful.

I spoke with my GP the other day, and he was very grateful that I had approached him with the details of TMAU. He had never heard of the condition, but said it helped him to consider the possibility when any other patient presented with a smell problem.

Best wishes.

Donald
Donald

Postby SmellyKelly2 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Just had my second results and they are worse than the first one!!!!!
TMA 30.3
TMA n Oxide 37.4
TMA/TMA n Oxide 0.81
SK
SmellyKelly2

Return to getting diagnosed