Do you tell your new work colleagues?

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

Do you tell your new work colleagues?

Postby beautifulsoul39 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 pm

IM really struggling with this i have got myself a new job and in yet to finalize some paperwork with the boss and decide my days hours etc but in wandering should i be upfront and tell them ive had jobs in past where the snidely comments were unreal but i didn't know what was wrong then anyone told their work and did it make it worse or help ? No one else understands so be great for the advice x
beautifulsoul39

Re: Do you tell your new work colleagues?

Postby Lisa » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi,

I've just had a sort of similar dilemma, I've started going to a hairdressers, been there 3 times now, and the lady who does my hair is lovely, so, to get a head start, (pardon the pun), I thought I would cover myself so to speak, and tell her about my condition, she obviously works very close to me, for around 3 hours a time.
I wrote her a letter explaining my condition, saying that I am very conscious of my odour, and that I wanted to make her aware, etc etc.
Do you know what her response was? I've never noticed anything!!! :o
I've found that once people are aware no comments are made, they tend to be sympathetic, and are quite intrigued by it and asks Q's.
Maybe you could do the same, or, see how the ground lies first, perhaps once you've been there awhile and have confidence in one person you could tell them, write a letter, I'm sure word will get round, that will save you telling everyone, and, hopefully, they will be understanding if they do notice anything.
See how you feel.
Good luck, and don't worry, you'll be just fine. :)
x
Lisa

Postby Pebble » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello,
I told my boss as soon as I got diagnosed. I've told everyone at work. (how much detail you go into though is up to you) If anyone did make me feel uncomfortable or make a nasty comment I would report them as its beyond my control & a medical condition. I also asked for a separate office so if I have a bad day I can sit in there. Things are tough enough to deal with (lack of alcohol) without having to worry about peoples comments etc. Good Luck with what you decide to do & I really hope things go well for you :)
Pebble

Postby beautifulsoul39 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Thankyou feel bit braver now ,going to see my boss next week i will write a letter see how i get on ill let you know
beautifulsoul39

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!