HI ALL

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

HI ALL

Postby stinkabelle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi All

I am aged 54 and from London.

I stopped drinking animal milk, cheese, yoghurts, butter etc about 4 years ago and now drink soya milk in tea and coffee.

I only get tmau when i have eaten cod or prawns. I am wondering if it is the soya milk causing the tmau as I never suffered with tmau before taking soya milk.

I also have high cholestrol 6.9 and underactive thyroid and am on thyroxine. I have figromyalgia too that comes and goes in severity of pain.

Has anyone found drinking cranberry juice helpful? If so, do u take it before or after eating fish ?

I also read somewhere that drinking lemon juice in water is helpful to eliminate the pong. Any ideas on that ?

I can't take Trimethroprim antibiotics as i get a severe allegic reaction.

I am trying to lose weight for ileostomy reversal and parastomal hernia repair after bowel cancer and want to eat fish and chicken and turkey but I can't stand the smell of myself and am so happy my husband has impaired sense of smell ! I, on the otherhand, have the sense of smell of a houndog on heat :lol:

Cheers

Tinks
stinkabelle

Re: HI ALL

Postby Ellie Girl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi Tinks, and welcome :-)

Whatever's triggered this for you, soya milk won't be helping as soya is very high in choline, which converts to TMA. Cod and prawns in themselves are high in TMA as well as choline so they won't be helping either. The USDA choline list is a helpful guide. There's also really useful ideas on this site and on the mebo site.

Good luck!

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Re: HI ALL

Postby kittycat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi Tinks...I would swop the soya milk for rice milk, its great for high cholesterol sufferers, and low in choline.. Also the latest discovery is that tuna is low in choline (allegedly) and I've been ok after eating river trout, and farmed salmon. Sprouted mung beans are a good low cholesterol/choline source of protein, but quite high in starch and omega 6. So you need to eat some omega 3 to balance that out.. I have a few walnuts and a couple of brazil nuts after a meal containing mung beans. Almonds are said to actually reduce cholesterol, but are high in choline.. Good luck with the weight loss...hard isn't it! Blobbykitty x
kittycat

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!