HELP

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: bigvern, admin

HELP

Postby scott82 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Hello. Well where do I start………I have a serious problem. I’m anxious virtually all of the time about smelling bad to others. I’m almost 30 years old, and this has been plaguing me for nearly 20 years.
I first remember being told that I smelt in secondary school when I was about 12 years old. Throughout my time at school it was occasionally commented on. At the time, I didn’t tell anyone else about the comments as I was too embarrassed. I just tried to keep as clean as I possibly could and obsessively washed and sprayed deodorants and aftershaves. I left school at 16 and went to college. I was able to lead a relatively happy life but occasionally these comments would occur. I got a lift ion to college from one of the other students sometimes, and I remember him winding his windows down in his car and asking me what the smell was. I suppose I buried my head in the sand about it and tried to carry on as normal. When I went to University, I felt the comments stopped however occasionally they’d happen again. I was in a play and overheard one of the other actors telling someone that I smelt bad. I decided to take action at this point. From a lot of the comments (and also occasional ones from my family) I was convinced it was my breath that smelt, so decided to purchase anti bad breath mouth wash and toothpaste. This was back in 2003 and I’ve been using the products ever since. That gave me more confidence. The situation now is that nobody ever tells me I smell to my face, however I’m constantly paranoid and ‘on edge’ about it. I’m always looking out for signs from people when I’m out in public. If people sniff or cough when they walk near me I think they are reacting to an odour from me. I avoid sitting near people. When I go to the cinema or theatre I always have to sit on the end of the row, not next to anyone that I don’t know. Where possible, I also avoid sitting in front of anyone, especially on buses or trains. I avoid queues as can’t bear the thought of someone standing behind me. The other day in the supermarket, a couple walked past me, and one of them turned around, then said something to their partner and then they turned around. I’m always convinced that it’s because they smell me.

A few years ago, I went on two separate occasions to a ‘bad breath clinic’ where they used a halimeter and other processes to test my breath odour. The results came back positively, that I didn’t have bad breath at all and that my breath was fresh. I also tested negatively for TMAU back in 2007, although I’m considering having another test for that. I spoke to my Doctor back in 2007 about this, who referred me for TMAU although she didn’t think there was a problem. I now have a different Doctor and haven’t discussed it with them.

I’m Gay and have had a boyfriend for 7 years. I have discussed this with him – not for a while and not to the extent that it affects my life. He always tells me that if I smelt, he’d tell me and that I ‘never smell’. I believe that I don’t smell to him but have read research to suggest (especially with TMAU) that not everyone can smell the offending odours. I asked three close friends a few years ago if they had ever smelt anything bad on me, and they all said no, but again, it just makes me think that I have naturally gravitated towards the few people that can’t smell me. Funnily enough, this has bever affected my love/sex life. I seem to forget about the anxiety when in those situations.
As I said earlier, I am approaching 30 very soon. I don’t want my life to be continue to be affected by what has essentially plagued me throughout my teens and twenties. I feel that it’s getting worse the older I get. As each day passes, the more paranoid and anxious I seem to get.
I’m an obsessively clean person. I shower twice a day, (I won’t leave the house without showering and washing my hair) I floss my teeth daily, and if I run out of my mouthwash and toothpaste, I feel that I can’t function. I know that it’s not completely ‘in my head’ due to the comments that caused the anxiety in the first place. If I’d never heard the comments at all, I wouldn’t have the anxiety. How can someone like me smell? I’ve always been clean. I want to smell fresh and clean, and feel confident that I do. What can I do? I really hope someone can point me in the right direction and help me through this. I feel like I want to have tests to either prove that I smell or that I don’t, and if I do, what can I do about it.

Scott
scott82

Re: HELP

Postby bigvern » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm

wow - very similar to my own thoughts and feelings - especially the paranoia about every one smelling it. My Mrs has always said she has never ever smelled the odour on me and I believe her. I would get re-tested asap - if only to rule TMAU out - I understand that there can be other causes of body malodour - I notice from your post you dont mention that people said you smelled of fish? (although typical for TMAU it is variously described as other non fish smells - rotten garabage etc.)Welcome to the forum :D
bigvern

Postby Weak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:46 am

*comment removed*

Apart from that you seem to be a very very lucky person. To my knowledge I came down with it in the 6th grade, I really cant remember anything before that but there was this kid in high school who swears we were best friends as kids. My life in middle school was a living heck, mainly my first class where I was ridiculed every single day, the teacher would just sit there helpless and watch, she wouldnt even try to stop them when they started and when she would she wouldnt make things better, she made it out to be my fault, almost saying well if you dont want them to make fun of you then stop smelling like that. it came to the point where I just skipped classes and school all together and I would fake sick or miss the buss all the time just so I could stay home. High school was better, there would always be these moments where I would feel like I didnt smell, people would talk to me without sniffing or have this look of torture on there face or i would walk into the room and not notice any strange reactions, but most of these people had known me from middle school so I figured they already knew that I was just that guy who smelled bad.

Remember that you could just have a very mild case of it where you would only smell after eating food high in choline, in my opinion you shouldnt beat yourself up and if people around you are telling you that you smell then regardless of what a test tells you "You Smell". It may not me TMAU or Halitosis but its something. Your energies would be spent better finding the source of this problem rather than worrying about it, and in the end you already have someone who.... loves and cares for you so why drive yourself insane. You have all that you will ever "need" so why worry about not getting the things that you "want", the only thing your missing out on is the icing on the cake and icing really isnt all that good.

*Id like to think everyone with TMAU has a heightened level of understanding there surroundings, I mean for me I can basically analyze a room as I walk into it and know where everyone is and see all there reactions just out of the corner of my own. Generally I can sense when someones doing something behind my back and my hearing is amazing, I was amazed an entire class by telling them what someone whispered from across the classroom.*
Last edited by Weak on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weak

Postby smelly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:24 am

Weak wrote: by Weak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:46 am
Weak wrote:I personally dont like gay people, not to sound hateful but I am just throwing that out there.

Well I personally DO like gay people :o Just throwing that out there
smelly

Postby Lisa » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I really dont think the "gay" comment was really necessary do you Weak?
Ditto Smelly. :D
A very warm welcome to you Scott. ( Theres always one huh)? :shock:
Lisa

Postby Weak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Well I obviously feel strongly about it, hence why I put it. I was considering taking it out but Idk, I felt like I wanted to make my opinion known. Eitherway Ill take it out, I can see how it is bad but at the same time that how I feel. I have a very good reason for feeling that way if it makes anyone feel better.
Weak

Postby Lisa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:40 pm

If it ain't cute, keep it mute.
This forum is about TMAU only, perhaps you should air those views somewhere else, a little tact wouldn't hurt would it? :shock:
Lisa

Postby admin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Everyone is welcome on this forum and everyone must be treated with respect and as an equal. (period - not negotiable)
The greatest beauty, thus far, of this forum is that it has been self policing.
weak - you have removed the comment but then seemingly re-iterated it in another way, this is unacceptable and a breach of the forum registration agreement, more importantly your comments may have adversely affected one of our fellow members.
Please do not do this again.

At the moment I'll leave the posts as is to highlight the issue.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Weak » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:26 am

Much obliged admin, it wont happen again.
Weak

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!