Hi

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

Hi

Postby daffodil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Like everyone else here, have had to work up the courage to make this post. I visited the doctor yesterday to get the diagnosis process started(after a comment of 'she stinks') by a shop assistant. At first I went around smelling all the other women but as they didn't smell, the old demons came back. Unlike lots of you the comments aren't very frequent so I had convinced myself it was all in my head. This forum has been a godsend though because as I am reading posts I am thinking yes that's me. Also my partner says he can't smell anything and I can't smell myself at all so I am finding this very frustrating. Sorry this is a bit garbled but my mind is racing and I haven't been able to stop crying. My main fear is that my children will inherit this, which I couldn't bear. Are there any people on here who have had their children tested?
Anyway, I was fortunate in that even though my doctor had never heard of it, she phoned the hospital to ask what sort of urine test I needed and the person she spoke to had recently attended a conference about tmau. I have had to have a normal urine test to rule out infection and then she will send a sample away to get it tested for tmau, so I will let you know how I get on. The hospital said they had sent of tests for 3 other people,one had tmau,the other a bacteria in the gut and the other bacterial vaginosis.
I wonder whether when I smell whether everyone can smell me or is it just the select few? Also, I have no idea how often I smell - it would be lovely to have someone to do a smell check everyday to give me feedback! I'm sure something we all wish for. I sympathise so much with everyone on this site. I think the paranoia is the worst thing. I have had a period of about a year where there has only been a mild niggling about my smell in the back of my head, so I have been to the cinema,pub etc. However, now after the latest comment, I don't want to leave the house, especially as I didn't feel smelly at all on the day the comment was made. I am going to try the diet as even though I am not diagnosed, I recognise myself in all of your comments. I'm finding it hard to get started though. I have read all of the posts about diet and feel it's worth a try.Does anybody know whether caffeine free diet coke is ok to drink and is caffeine free tea best? I have been using skimmed milk which is apparantly the worst so is it best to drink it black or is full fat ok.
Sorry for harping on but I feel better already. :)
daffodil

Re: Hi daffodil

Postby idealist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi daffodil,

I am glad this forum has been beneficial to you and I look forward to reading your post in the future. I can definitely relate to everything you have just said. I know the feeling of not wanting to leave the house, just take baby steps and don't beat yourself up because of it. Sorry I am not sure about the tea and coke question, I drink neither one. Wish you all the happiness and hope that life will improve for you. x
idealist

Re: Hi

Postby bigvern » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi and welcome :D

I had my daughter tested (via the NHS northern genetics service I think it was called) and she did have the faulty gene from me - at least we are armed with all the facts..
bigvern

Re: Hi

Postby stephi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi My Son has been tested and has we have just had it diagnosed that he has TMAU, even though my husband and I dont have it, we both had one faulty gene which he inherited. We are just dealing with the prospects of this too and it is as you say very upsetting and a bit of a mine field reading this website but sure to be a fantastic support network for us. All I can say is if your children have inherited this you will have have first experience to help and support them. At least their health is not affected be this. I am just so thankful and relived my son is healthy and happy. There are many children suffering far worse things.

Good Luck xx
stephi

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!