I'm new and my GP is helping me!!!!

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

I'm new and my GP is helping me!!!!

Postby momo-special » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi - I went to my GP with having spent the last 3-4 years having a terrible fishy odour after eating any type of fish. It's taken a few years for me to research and self test at home to see if it's just a co-incidental or a definite link. I'm sure I've got an acquired version. Something is going on and a new GP I saw today for a meds review is going off to research. I've also got Lupus SLE, Sjogrens Syndrome, Vit B12 deficiency and I'm on a lot of meds including immunosuppressants. From reading and researching can there be something wrong in the liver that doesn't process the enzyme correctly (TMAU) and therefore the odour can occur? Only in the urine/genital area? Thanking you in advance for your help.
momo-special

Re: I'm new and my GP is helping me!!!!

Postby PoetFire » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Hi. It's certainly worth investigating the TMAU line. The aquired type, TMAU2, is usually due to 'overload' of TMA, due to increased presence of the bacteria in the gut that produces TMA. So really a bacteria problem.
That's the theory anyhow.
My own view for TMAU2 is that the person may have a slight weakness in FMO3 which might lead to a TMA issue at some point.
SHeffield Children's Hospital is the only tester in the UK. I'm sure your GP will discover this. But it can be done by post.
In some regions the regional adult metabolic unit will be aware of TMAU and your GP could refer you to that unit. Or the GP could arrange the test.
Well good luck.
PoetFire

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!