Hi everyone! New girl here!

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: bigvern, admin

Re: Hi everyone! New girl here!

Postby Ellie Girl » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks Lyndsey :-)

SK, I avoid protein if poss; there is still some in oats and rice I think. I'm tired a lot if the time, but for me that's the trade off.

Where are you based? I travel a lot over the UK fir work and would be happy to meet up and compare notes :-)

Ellie xx
Ellie Girl

Postby SmellyKelly2 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Ellie
Yes, its well worth the trade off not to smell. My smell is often horrendous to people that smell it.
Sounds like you have a really good job, I used to travel a little bit round the South East when I was in audit which was very interesting (enjoyed meeting lots of new people before this illness kicked in).
I live in the Brighton & Hove area, message me on here if you are ever in the area.
Thanks again
SK
SmellyKelly2

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi!

Sorry, I've been away for work and not much internet connection but I hadn't forgotten the site!

I hardly eat any protein SK - really only waht occurs naturally in fruit and vegies and rice. I think with protein it's something to do with the amino acids causing the problem.

Some people with TMAU can get away with more but I don't seem able to get away with much. Certainly not any meats or fish. Sometimes I will have a little dairy but wheat-fed dairy is high in Trimenthylamine so I avoid it if possible.

It's a trial and error process - although I've not been diagnosed officially until recently I've had this for almost 10 years I think and it's taken me ages to get where I am with understanding what my body can and can't tolerate.

One thing that definietly helps (and especially when I'm on my cycle) is a course of metronidazole. It really lessens the smell. My office is pretty airless and my general odour, even when not too bad is kind of yeasty/eggy. Not always unbearably so but noticeable. The metranidazole lessens it so that it is hardly noticeable and my staff don't notice it at all when I am on it (they are great girls and tell me if I'm having a problem with it). Antibiotics are not a long-term solution but if you are desperate they are a good place to start and certainly give me the confidence to feel normal and that gives me the strength to not give in and is a really good place from which to sort out your diet because you know you are almost starting with a clean slate - i.e. fairly odourless.

Hope that helps! EG x
Ellie Girl

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

PS will message you if in your area x
Ellie Girl

Postby mel304067 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Hiya ellie girl!
Just wanted to say hi and comment on one of your questions about pregnancy!
I've recently had my fourth child and for me pregnancy wasnt too much worse for the smell just different. More on my breath. But I have to say once I started to get hot and sweat (quite often the bigger I got) it was very strong yes. I found though, that many people are kinder and a lot more understanding to a pregnant lady than in normal daily encounters! So on good days it was average but on bad days no worse than it would be at that time of the month. I hope this was of some help! Take care Mel304067 :)
mel304067

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Mel!

Thanks for the advice re preganancy. I was considering a hysterectomy but am now in a relationship where pregnancy might become part of the discussion... :) :shock: So it;'s helpful to hear of your experience.

ellie xx
Ellie Girl

Previous

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!