Hi

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

Re: Hear Me

Postby Lisa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:20 am

Yes, you have along way to go, we all have. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let this disorder ruin my life anymore. You only get one chance, grab it with both hands, you'll be sorry if you dont. We ALL suffer from the paranoia bit, but you have to work your life around it. If someone says something to me, I tell them straight, if they dont like it it's their tough luck, when they've been told, it's usually them who's embarrased. Tell them not to be so rude!! Think about it, people can only hurt you if you let them. I decided awhile back, I dont need negative people in my life, so I shot them, (only kidding), you need to be around positive people, people who will tell you the truth. People who care for you.
Lisa

Postby jane » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi there,

I feel for you, I truly do. I am a 40 year old woman born in East London, living in Romford, and I am still going through the same emotional, mental and physical effects of TMAU, as you. I am in despair, but for you I say keep strong. Hopefully by the time you reach my age, what with medical advancements and heightened awareness, the anguish and despair you are going through now will be a long forgotten nightmare.

I would like to think if I was your age today, I would have the strength to fight all the distructive effects TMAU brings into a person life, but for me right now, I'm just treading water, waiting to fall under a bus :D. No, I'm only being abit of a drama queen, my usual MO. Seriously, I may not like my life, but I am too much of a coward.

Sorry for the wallowing in self pity part, it's my favourite pasttime as I have nothing else to do :D.

Now back to you. Try and see if you can get your GP to refer you to a psychotherapist/counsellor. It's abit of a long waiting list, but once there, they may be able to get you in the right head space. I didn't think my sessions worked but I have become alot more relaxed about things, not so uptight. Actually I think it's a toss up between those sessions and just getting to an age where I haven't got the energy to go through my extensive body and clothes washing ritual/ watching for peoples reaction, hoping for no gestures (coughing, hand to face etc) to indicate no smell, waiting for an empty section of bus/train, oh god the list was endless and it's exhaustive just thinking about it.

Talking to another person about it who is not a sufferer was a relief, even though my counsellor didn't feel I had an odour.

-Side Bar: Why can't people just be honest, they can whisper loudly behind your back and spray perfume, or bring up the topic of personal hygiene out of nowhere, but when you ask them face to face it's 'No I can't smell a thing'
-Back on topic: Eventually we devised a survey basically asking her colleagues if I smelt and 1 person out of 10 said I smelt of wet dog, and I felt vindicated. The outcome of all the sessions being if you smell whats the worst that can happen, just igonre. I know its a simple premiss, but when TMAU has you in its grip, you lose all hope and rationale.

So when the comments and situations come, (and believe me how they come) it means I can handle things a little better, and when something good in my life happens I can appreciate it, but don't get me wrong I'm not living, i'm existing. I still have not got the coping skills to get and hold down a job or form lasting relationships (although i'm trying).

Oh my dear, I have just read this through, it not quite the beacon of hope and encouragement I had intended when I first started typing. But we all must thank god for the forums and the enlightened doctors. I know for a fact I would not be here today without them. You too must take courage from all of us in the same boat managing to live one day at a time (some more successfully than others!).

I know it's a terrible thing to say...but can you imagine how fortunate it would be if a big time celebrity or uber rich person developed the condition. I know, I know it's a horrible thought (wouldn't wish it on your worse enemy etc) but..all I trying to say is, imagine how things would change if we had someone high profile batting for us. Till then...

Um...just had a thought your a Londoner, so am I, maybe one day we could meet up and swap horror stories, or maybe get smashed :lol: No serious mode: it would be really nice to meet a fellow sufferer face to face and swap experiences and UPLIFTING stories.

Take care
jane

Postby jane » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Hiya,

Just realised, for some reason I thought you lived in London.

Great on top of TMAU, i'm going senile. :lol:

Instead I'm gonna put a spin on it and offer an tentative invitation to any other sufferers who happens to live in London -fancy meeting up in the future.
jane

Re: Hi

Postby rickyjhon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 am

Hi everyone, nice to meet you people.
rickyjhon

Postby dodge1980 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi Mate,

The amount of stress you are putting yourself under over this only makes matters worse with this condition. Reading some of your posts I recognise myself from a few years ago. The only way I started sheding some of that anxiety was counselling. I'm sure the thought of how will talking about it help may be crossing your mind but reducing the stress in your life about other things may help with this. I have found taking a combination of copper chloropyllin ("body mint" or "Nullo"), activated charcol, probiotics and riboflavin (the last 3 I got from holland and barrett) have helped quite considerably with my smell, although mine does come in waves.

Take care and keep your chin up.
Kelly
dodge1980

Postby Huffpuff » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:54 pm

jane wrote:Hi there,

I feel for you, I truly do. I am a 40 year old woman born in East London, living in Romford, and I am still going through the same emotional, mental and physical effects of TMAU, as you. I am in despair, but for you I say keep strong. Hopefully by the time you reach my age, what with medical advancements and heightened awareness, the anguish and despair you are going through now will be a long forgotten nightmare.

I would like to think if I was your age today, I would have the strength to fight all the distructive effects TMAU brings into a person life, but for me right now, I'm just treading water, waiting to fall under a bus :D. No, I'm only being abit of a drama queen, my usual MO. Seriously, I may not like my life, but I am too much of a coward.

Sorry for the wallowing in self pity part, it's my favourite pasttime as I have nothing else to do :D.

Now back to you. Try and see if you can get your GP to refer you to a psychotherapist/counsellor. It's abit of a long waiting list, but once there, they may be able to get you in the right head space. I didn't think my sessions worked but I have become alot more relaxed about things, not so uptight. Actually I think it's a toss up between those sessions and just getting to an age where I haven't got the energy to go through my extensive body and clothes washing ritual/ watching for peoples reaction, hoping for no gestures (coughing, hand to face etc) to indicate no smell, waiting for an empty section of bus/train, oh god the list was endless and it's exhaustive just thinking about it.

Talking to another person about it who is not a sufferer was a relief, even though my counsellor didn't feel I had an odour.

-Side Bar: Why can't people just be honest, they can whisper loudly behind your back and spray perfume, or bring up the topic of personal hygiene out of nowhere, but when you ask them face to face it's 'No I can't smell a thing'
-Back on topic: Eventually we devised a survey basically asking her colleagues if I smelt and 1 person out of 10 said I smelt of wet dog, and I felt vindicated. The outcome of all the sessions being if you smell whats the worst that can happen, just igonre. I know its a simple premiss, but when TMAU has you in its grip, you lose all hope and rationale.

So when the comments and situations come, (and believe me how they come) it means I can handle things a little better, and when something good in my life happens I can appreciate it, but don't get me wrong I'm not living, i'm existing. I still have not got the coping skills to get and hold down a job or form lasting relationships (although i'm trying).

Oh my dear, I have just read this through, it not quite the beacon of hope and encouragement I had intended when I first started typing. But we all must thank god for the forums and the enlightened doctors. I know for a fact I would not be here today without them. You too must take courage from all of us in the same boat managing to live one day at a time (some more successfully than others!).

I know it's a terrible thing to say...but can you imagine how fortunate it would be if a big time celebrity or uber rich person developed the condition. I know, I know it's a horrible thought (wouldn't wish it on your worse enemy etc) but..all I trying to say is, imagine how things would change if we had someone high profile batting for us. Till then...

Um...just had a thought your a Londoner, so am I, maybe one day we could meet up and swap horror stories, or maybe get smashed :lol: No serious mode: it would be really nice to meet a fellow sufferer face to face and swap experiences and UPLIFTING stories.

Take care

Hello Jane, I live in upminster not far from romford. I'm 24 year old female. Could we possibly meet up when your free. I'm really depressed and need help.
Huffpuff

Postby Huffpuff » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks Jane for comforting me. I think my next step will be to see a doctor and get tested.
Sometimes I just wished it was all in my head. I kno the feeling of waiting for an empty train carriage. I avoid taking the public as much as I can and have invested in a car, which has helped a little. I have two young bubba's, and I dread school runs, queuing up waiting for the kids to come out ohhhh :oops: :oops: . I don't interact with any of the parents as I think they will judge me.

Iv started a new job in upminster after being out of work for a year. It's a recruitment agency so it's office based. Iv been there a month and everyday I finish work I say to myself I need to quit all because of the embarrassment I face.

I don't discuss any of these symptoms to my mum and partner as they say I always smell fresh and clean.

We could meet up for a Cofee, do you live far from the brewery?
Huffpuff

Previous

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!