New Year, New Me!

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

New Year, New Me!

Postby PinkPanther » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Hello all

Just joined, but been reading your posts on and off for a while.

I'm in my fifties, but started smelling when I hit puberty (if I smelled before that nobody told me!). I haven't been tested for TMAU and don't know if I have it or some other metabolic disorder, but I definitely get my BO from within, I'm the cleanest person I know and it's definitely nothing to do with hygiene (although I've found certain shower gels and soaps clean my skin better than others). The smell fills a large room instantly. I think the smell and the intensity vary, but I can mostly only tell such things from the reactions of others.

The first time I plucked up the courage to broach the subject with my GP he just brushed it off and it crushed me, and I've never mentioned it again. In fact, I can't talk about it all and have tremendous respect and admiration for people who go public with it like Ellie James and others who've been on tv and the papers.

I'm vegetarian since I was 18 yr old, so don't eat fish, meat or whatever. I find anything with a strong smell or anything that contains most fatty acids makes me whiffy (look up butyric acid or capric acid on wiki - eek!!). Also, Nuts, beans, wholemeal grains, green veg, most root veg except carrots, dairy, coffee, chocolate - blah blah - you get the picture I'm sure - all this stuff takes me to BO central. I also suspect sugar causes a bad smell. The time I got the least comments and reactions was when I had a bad tooth and I gave up all sugar in food. I found checkout operators who usually gave me the "death glare" were being friendly and smiley at this time. Once I got my teeth fixed and went back to biscuits and sugary food the hate came back. I keep a food diary and note people's reactions when I have to go out in this diary. Sometimes I get very little or no reaction and sometimes it's extreme and soul-crushingly humiliating. I look for patterns but it seems that nearly everything makes me stink. So far I think salad vegetables, white rice and bread and sweet potatoes aren't too bad. Most fruits seem OK.

I can very rarely smell it myself but sometimes I can, especially if the smell is unusual (as in different from my usual smell). Like once I ate 2 bags of McCoys Steak flavour crisps and the smell of the flavouring came out of me so strongly that an ice bag that I put on my head the next day (I had a migraine) smelled really strongly of those crisps as if I'd rubbed them all over it. In fact that was about 6 years ago and that ice bag still smells faintly of those crisps.

I also think sulphur and thiols are bad for me and I'm going to avoid those where possible.

I've decided that this year I'm no longer going to wreck my health with a crumby diet just to make other people feel better.

I'll cut out the green veg that I love and the root veg and mostly eat salads and fruit, but if I want to eat nuts and seeds or the odd beanburger I'm going to do it. Life's too short.

I've recently had some health issues that forced me to visit the doctors and attend a few hospital appts., which was sheer torture - you'd think health care professionals would be less judgemental wouldn't you? I hate any situation where I have to visit somewhere new or meet new people that aren't used to me, but I suppose as I get older I'm going to have to suck it up. I've been lucky in that the last 10 years I've been able to avoid most people.

I hope this New Year I'll be able to be less fearful about public reaction and just get on with my life.

Sorry if this a bit rambling and confusing. Feel free to ask me anything.

Happy New Year to you all.
PinkPanther

Re: New Year, New Me!

Postby PinkPanther » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:13 pm

55 views and not even a hello? Just like real life! heh heh

I don't mind my own company though, so I'll keep chatting away to myself unless the board owner tells me to stfu ;0)

For the last 10 days I've been following a diet which excludes dairy, wheat, legumes, coffee/tea* and sugar (except for the natural sugars in fruit and veg etc). I'm vegetarian as well, so I'm finding it very restrictive and awkward (especially when out and about), but I'm also getting few or no reactions from the general public, which is nice. (although please see my post about cats in the non-tmau forum today, which is making me wonder...?)

I had an appt. with a therapist last week at a place I've never been to before and told her in advance (by email), that I have metabolic BO, but she said she couldn't smell anything. Tbf, she also admitted to having a poor sense of smell, but I went shopping afterwards and got zero reactions in two supermarkets. That's the first time I've ever warned someone about my BO, it was hard but quite liberating in a way).

I had a similar result when I temporarily gave up sugar once before, but then I was also still eating dairy and wheat.

I'm convinced if we sort out our guts this problem will be at least manageable, if not curable.

Is there anybody here who doesn't have constipation or excessive gas or some other gut disturbance?

*I've had a few black and green teas without milk, but not many compared to my usual consumption of 6-7 mugs of tea with milk a day.
PinkPanther

Postby bigvern » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:10 pm

quick helllo! and welcome. tbh a lot of memebers have joined and had their specific questions answered so then don't visit that often and we are a tiny and unique group of people!!
bigvern

Postby PinkPanther » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks, bigvern. :0)

We're certainly unique, lol.
PinkPanther

Postby yvette » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:36 am

Hello my names Kaye,

I'm 56 and have a story similar to yours. I really enjoyed reading your post. The ice bag bit made me chuckle. This disorder is completely insane. I was getting maudlin over some photo's of when I travelled when I was younger. No matter where I go this damn disorder follows me around - like a bad smell!!!

Anyway, thank you and hope tomorrows a good one.

Kaye
yvette

Postby PinkPanther » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Hello Kaye :0)

I was looking for something today and found that ice bag in a cupboard - couldn't resist a quick sniff but it's very faint now.

I know what you mean, this condition is so surreal isn't it? It never ceases to amaze me how a body can make such a powerful bad smell from such innocuous foods, even after all these years it still surprises me. :cry:

I think I've been much improved for the last 2 weeks or so. You know when you leave a room and then go back in and you can sense a kind of fug? I haven't been getting that recently. Some of the usually sour checkout operators have been friendly and smiley. Had a bit of a wobble the other day, though....

Was out shopping and at the checkout when a sudden cloud of fecal smell enveloped me, I saw the cashiers nose wrinkling in disgust when it hit her and I was really disappointed, because I'd thought I was having a good day up til then. I had a look round to see if anyone else was nearby who might have farted, but it was pretty quiet in there and apart from an old lady in front of me and a young male employee talking to the manager there was nobody much. Plus it really seemed to be coming from me. Luckily it rapidly disappeared and the cashier's face went from disgusted back to normal. She even started chatting away about something I'd purchased and as always, I was pathetically grateful for her kindness. Just as I'm finishing packing and paying the old lady said she really needed to get to a toilet urgently and the penny dropped. I had briefly wondered if it was her.... :lol:

I've been watching my diet really carefully since the beginning of January and I think it's done some good. No wheat, no sugar, no dairy, no processed food. Mostly fruit and salad, baked potatoes, olive oil, cider or balsamic vinegar. More recently I've added some grains back in, in the form of rice, rice cakes and oat cakes in small amounts. B2 and Zinc and a few other supps when I remember to take them.

I've been reading up on fruitarianism and also macrobiotics and I think a combination of the two might suit me.

Has anyone else seen the "Incurables" TV show on the Wellbeing Network? It's on Sky channel no. 252 and there have been quite a few documentaries about the healing power of macrobiotics and fresh fruits and vegetables and juices. It's usually about someone with cancer or psoriasis rather than BO, but I think it might help with a few tweaks (like no cruciferous veg for us). Worth a try anyway.
PinkPanther

Postby PinkPanther » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Aww, Kaye I've just noticed it's your birthday!

Happy Birthday to you, better late than never! :D
PinkPanther

Postby Pebble » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi pink panther
I will take a look at that TV programme you mentioned.
I've recently cut down on my crisps and bread and I'm trying to drink more water. I'm trying to be good in the week and treat myself at weekends but without going too OTT.
Pebble

Postby PinkPanther » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello Pebble :0)

Good luck with the crisps and bread, I used to love both of those - I ate bread every day. Haven't had bread for a month now and nearly caved in yesterday but didn't. It's getting easier as time goes on. I think I'll start a thread on the diet board. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep adding chit chat to this one if it's meant to be for introductions. Don't know how strict the board owner is here?

Let us know what results you get - good or bad.
PinkPanther

Postby Tenacity » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 pm

PinkPanther wrote:55 views and not even a hello? Just like real life! heh heh

Hi there,

I'm clearly VERY late to this conversation, but thought I would say hello, as I know what you mean! Afraid I'm guilty of visiting this forum once in a blue moon - although that is partly because I'm crazy busy. For some reason I have decided to fill my life with TMAU-incompatible goals. ;D

I have a similar story (a bit younger than you, but also vegetarian/affected since various points in adolescence). Like you I was kind of hoping to find somebody to chat to a bit on here, so feel free to get back to me any time. I can't promise I will always reply in a timely manner (also, because of the nature of what I do, it's probably not a good idea for me to share too many personal details - or details that make me identifiable, at any rate), but I will do my best to be sociable. ;)

PinkPanther wrote:I'm convinced if we sort out our guts this problem will be at least manageable, if not curable.

Is there anybody here who doesn't have constipation or excessive gas or some other gut disturbance?

I would say my gut health has always been pretty good. Before I went on the low-choline diet I did suffer from terrible bloating and some non-specific fatigue/malaise, but I do wonder if that wasn't a very minor lactose intolerance that has incidentally been treated by the change in food intake. Certainly it was never bad enough to give me any bowel or bladder symptoms.

Hope you've been well since last month's post. My antibiotics seem to have well and truly worn off this week, and I don't have time to get some more until at least a week Thursday. Grr.

T :)
Tenacity

Next

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!