new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

Postby Unlucky » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:20 am

Hi everyone.
I'm 29 years old male and I believe to be suffering from TMAU. I didn't get tested yet but I plan to do so in the near future.
Here is my story in short. I'm not a native english speaker so I apologize in advance.
It started when I was 13. I soon realized that there is something wrong with me but I didn't go to a doctor because of shame. High school was very tough for me but I never gave up and managed to finish it and start education at university. When I was about 20 years old, I started looking for answers on the internet (soon after I first got internet at home).
I found some forum posts from people describing similair symptoms as I had. There were many different possible causes being mentioned on that forums so I was not sure what I had at that point. Then I decided to tell my mother about the issue. She was rather suprised and didn't really believe that I had any smell related issues - she never smelled anything. I decided to go to a doctor. I printed some forum posts from people describing similair sympomts on the internet and took it with me. First thing doctor suggested, is that it might be all in my head but I quickly convinced her that it's not. She read my prints but she still had no clue what to do with me. She prescribed me some anti-bacterial soup
and that was it. The soap didnt help at all. I saw no point in going to the doctor again and made decision to just continue my life as before and do not think about the problem too much. I graduated from University, started my first job. I'm actually doing quite well in my life now (except from the comments at work). I have a well paid job, a wife and a daugther. My wife admitted to never smell anything. Recently my mother had a visit to the doctor mentioned before. After that my mother told me that the doctor asks if I still have the problem and if yes, I may be suffering from TMAU (about 9 years after my visit). I started studying everything I can find on the internet about TMAU. I must point out, that 9 years before ,when I was studying the internet to find out whats going on, I ruled out TMAU because my smell was never fishy - it was fecal/sulfur/sewer. This shows how misleading the name of this disease is. Recently I started to see some correlation between what I eat and the level of smell, however it doesnt seem to match exacly information about TMAU on the internet. My plans for the future: get tested, find a diet that helps, get a remote job (I'm a programmer so this is definitely possible in my case).
Knowing that my issue started when I was 13, I'm afraid that my THAU may be genetic, which means that my doughter may get it too. This really saddens me...
Please feel free to comment and give me some advice. Thank you.
Unlucky

Re: New member

Postby bigvern » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 pm

How do - you are amongst friends here, welcome to the club.
There is loads of information on the forum, steep learning curve, but plenty of decent stuff.
bigvern

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!