10 month old baby need test?

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

10 month old baby need test?

Postby hope1919 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:17 am

Hi all

I am a confused mummy here , hope to seek some advice from members here. After my ten month old baby started solids, we notice that there is faint fishy smell in his breath and perspiration when he eats fish. The smell only last half a day. He is OK when he eats eggs or milk or other food.

I am in a dilemma if I should follow my doctor advice to send him for testing. If there is no health complication, is there a need to get him tested?

Also, do you know would the smell get worst with age? Is it possible to have very mild smell only with TMAU?

- confused mummy
hope1919

Re: 10 month old baby need test?

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Hello Hope,

If it were me I wouldn't get him tested just yet, maybe if you notice things worsen when he is a little older.
It could just be that because he ate some fish, like when you eat Sugar Puffs, Weetabix, Asparagus, it can make your wee smell.
I wouldn't worry just yet, omit the fish out of his diet for a few weeks and see if that makes any difference.
Hope this helps a little?
Lisa

Postby bigvern » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi,
"Is it possible to have very mild smell only with TMAU?"

Yes you can have transient TMAU (mild and not so mild) symptoms if you are a carrier, but Lisa is right you can also smell if you don't have tmau

In the old days of testing my family members were tested and my brother was given and oral load of a massive fish oil capsule, his wife and everyone else said they could really smell it after that, but thats the one and only time (he was -ve test)

"Also, do you know would the smell get worst with age?"
One of the variables that can affect the symptoms is puberty.

You are obviously concerned enough to post on here and reading between the lines if the Dr is even willing to offer the test then they may agree with your concern.

I have TMAU and I had my daughter tested (gene sequence via blood test) when she was a baby. She was and is asymtpomatic but we decided to have the test so we were in the best place to deal with it if she gets any symptoms when she is older...

I don't necissarily advocate the test for others, its a personal decision that you have to come to.
bigvern

Postby atlantis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi bigvern -we would love to have our daughter tested an I have discussed it with dr lacchmann an he is not willing to blood test her , she is currently showing no symptoms but like u I feel forewarned is forearmed. Do you know if I could have her privately blood tested . Its always in the back of my mind an its quite possibly something I dont need to be stressing about . Any help or advice would be appreciated ..
atlantis

Postby hope1919 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 am

Thank you very much Lisa and bigvern. Your advice help me a lot. I will monitor and if the symptoms are not getting worse we will not get him tested :)

Recently met a mummy online in the same situation as me, she said why get the child tested when he is active and happy , nothing else matters :)
hope1919

Postby bigvern » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:49 pm

my recollection is a bit hazy but I think Sheffield Childrens hospital were doing a trial/study of tmau and I had my blood sequenced which was +ve for TMAU.

After that I asked to have my daughter tested and was referred for 'genetic counselling' prior to having her tested, this invovled speaking at length with a professor to determine if we understood the consequences of the test and also to determine if it would be deemed appropriate for the NHS to pay for it. (the professor then pleaded our case before a panel) after that we had the test and then a subsequent meeting with the prof. to discuss the meaning of the results.

It's not easy to interpret (in our case anyway) and is complex. even with the help of the prof to unpick the gene sequence results, there was no simple black and white answer for our case, I cant comment if this may be the case for others, if you go down private route (if indeed that is even possible?) you may well not get any of the associated counselling / advice re. result - and unless you are an expert biochemist/genitic type person you will need this.

I would say if Dr L has reservations then he may have reasons why, on the other hand we had it done and even if we had been seeing him at the time and he said no I think I would have done it.
bigvern

Postby imjd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi all

I know this post was many years ago but I
Am so worried for my one year old son.
Hope1919 I feel in the same situation as you were one
Please I hope you see this and reply. What happened on
Your situation?

Did you get your baby (won't be a baby now) tested?
Did you find out what the smell was?
imjd

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!