New member - my 5 year old has TMAU

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: admin, bigvern

New member - my 5 year old has TMAU

Postby Mummybear » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:29 am

Hi, my little boy was diagnosed with TMAU when he was 2 - he is now 5 years old and started school this Sept. We were called into school yesterday, as some of the other children have started to notice that my little boy smells like fish sometimes. We haven't told him yet, and to date, I haven't made any specific changes to his diet, as I've been more concerned with good nutrition. His father and I now need to look at controlling his condition via looking at his diet, but all the sites I've seen list only forbidden foods - there doesn't seem to be much about what he actually can eat. Could anyone point me in the right direction of any specific info? Milk is a big problem.....how do I ascertain whether the cows were fed on grass or wheat? ASDA staff were flummoxed, and we're going with Yeo Valley organic at present.

Would be really grateful if anyone would share details of what exactly they do eat! We're going to start keeping a smell chart, and we do need to talk to our little boy about his condition. I just want to see if we can minimise the smell through diet. I think he's too young for medication yet. Any ideas about body sprays/masking the smell at school on hot days would be much appreciated.

Am so grateful to have found this forum. Cheers, Liz
Mummybear

Re: New member - my 5 year old has TMAU

Postby bigvern » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Liz,

I am TMAU1 and we have a 6 year old, no symptoms reported yet,, I would advise going to your GP and asking for a referal to an NHS dietician.

Even if they have never heard of the condition you can point them in the direction of those who work with Dr Lachmann, mine had never heard of condition but researched it and really helped me out.

My own experience is that a lot of it is trial and error and keeping a diary/log of smell is a good idea.

Good luck :D
bigvern

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!