soup recipes

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

soup recipes

Postby LJNLindsay » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:20 am

(sorry, more questions...)

I'm not a very confident, experimental cook, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for soup recipes that would be permissible on the low choline diet.

When doing the weight watchers diet I used to make a lovely butterenut squash, red pepper, onion & veg stock soup. I guess the only thing you couldn't have would be the onion?

I'd appreciate any recipes, thoughts, advice, etc.

Thanks in advance

Linds x
"When No One Else Cares; My Dogs' Still Love Me"
LJNLindsay

Re: soup recipes

Postby kittycat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Lindsay.. Happy new year :D
I'm not a confident, experimental, or A KEEN cook but I eat homemade soup everyday. On the diet you have to be realistic, and just do the best you can do, so it's got to taste good even if there's a small amount of the forbidden foods in it. Also, once you've been on the diet and probiotics for a few years you can have a treat here and there, I've found.

Soup 1.
Butternut squash. Cubed, and boiled until soft, and then mashed in the saucepan and water.
Sainsbury's frozen diced veg... Has onion so maybe small amount, with/or mainly diced carrot and celery. Frozen carrots might be easier, but celery is simple to prepare.
Diced potatoes
Frozen sweetcorn.. Might be no-go for other tmaus.
Garlic... Maybe not for you though.
Turmeric.. I use so much it sends me orange, but it's a natural antibiotic.
Mixed herbs.
Bay leaf. Pepper is prob ok for you.....
Knorr chicken stock pots. As I say, you have to be realistic!
Soup 2. Is as above but the base is Sainsbury's chopped tomato in a carton and water, as a base.
kittycat

Postby LJNLindsay » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi Kittycat,

And a very happy New Year to you, too :-)

Thank you so, so much for your advice. I really appreciate your help.

This is all really new to me, & I've not had the referal to the nutritionist yet, but I'm trying to gather some recipes that I could be trying in the meantime.

Thanks once again!

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Postby kittycat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Also..... You could have a starter of avocado with mozzarella or feta vege cheese. I also have fresh basil and beefsteak tomatoes, but they're too sulfurous(sp?) for some of us. Followed by fresh fruit, that makes a healthy and fairly low choline lunch... Kcx
kittycat

Postby LJNLindsay » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks, Kc!

Do you know, avocado is something I have never, ever, tried....LOL.

What can you eat in terms of fruit? Is it just apples & pears, or can you tolerate other fruits, too?

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Postby kittycat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 am

I only seen to be affected by meat, eggs and soya, and anything fried in oil, really Lindsay. So a reasonable amount of fruit is fine for me, but it seems that some of us are also affected by the sugar in it. It's trial and error. Difficult if you and the family have TSA :D .. (when I've told people that I suffer Fish Odour Syndrome, they invariably say 'well I've never smelt anything, and I've got a very good scenes of smell') Avocados may be an acquired taste :x kcx
kittycat

Postby LJNLindsay » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Gawd, it's a nightmare. Even if I do the diet I'm not going to know if it's working as I, nor my folks, can't smell anything anyway :?

Back to college tomorrow after a two-week break for Christmas & I'm dreading it, gulp. No one has said anything, but it's living with that constant paranoia, gulp...

Linds x
LJNLindsay

Return to Diet